American Farrier article considering the mustang roll

Melanie Christensen

Hello,

I know this article is long and technical,  and from what I understand they used horses with no morphology,  and have considered the barefoot way, mustang roll, "toe dubbing", to be detrimental to the equine hoof.

What I also take away in my own opinion is that my horses are not the "normal" equine hoof.   So does this article miss the point in that laminitic horses need to be trimmed differently?    There is one small point made to laminitis:  "Distal phalanx, lamella zone thickness and extensor distance. “The length of the distal phalanx doesn’t change in a mature age horse. The lamella zone thickness from the hoof wall out to the outer hoof wall; that doesn’t change in a mature age horse as well from over a 12-month period, unless there’s been a laminitic event. The extensor or the sinker distance shouldn’t change either unless there’s some sort of pathology."

I'm just curious if anyone has opinions that a "normal" horse foot does not benefit from barefoot trimming.

Thank you,
Melanie Christensen