Shakira: Hoof Pics and XRays

larissa.supnik@...

Hi folks,

A friend recommended you for help for appropriately trim a lamanitic horse.

A big of background on my girl:

Shakira is a 14 years old, ~14.3hh, 3/4 Arabian.  She was rescued from an intense neglect situation in February by the local animal shelter where she had been physically trapped in her stall for 5+ years.  Photo of her when rescued included in the album to show what her feet looked like 3 months ago.  As far as I'm aware she hadn't been handled in those 5+ years, nor had she been trimmed.  As a result she has mechanical laminitis in at least one foot, and fairly messed up feet all around.  As far as the shelter was aware, she's not IR.  She was trimmed twice at the shelter under sedation to start to bring her feet back under control.

She's been in my care for ~3 weeks.  We had a failed attempt to trim her one week ago because I was unable to give administer the oral dose of dormosedan gel at the farrier's request.  (The farrier is currently the same farrier who had worked on her at the shelter).  However, doing additional work with her this week, I believe she can be trimmed without sedation by someone with patience.  She's improved a lot over the three weeks she's been here on foot handling, but still has a ways to go.

Here are the photos I was able to get along with the X-Rays provided to me by the shelter.  Apologies on the quality.  I got the pictures as best she would let me.  You can see her left feet are her "worst" - unfortunately that also means it's the one she wanted photographed the least.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/CthS1FK199AED4fN8

If there are any pictures it would be particularly useful to improve upon, please let me know and I'll see what she'll give me.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Larissa