Re: lameness

Majestic is a handsome guy and has such a nice way of going. He reaches nicely under himself, driving from behind.

I also think it's the RF. I'm no expert, so I'll tell you what I see from four telltale signs. I'm sure a capable lameness vet could see more in person on a straight line from behind and lunging in the opposite direction. In this case, slow motion didn't help me.

First, as Kirsten said, there is an obvious head bob. Second, listen to the footfalls. Count 1-2-3-4. Now count 1-2 looking at the fores only.  #1 is heavier on the inside/left fore.  Third, visualize how you would limp in time to the uneven footfalls. My ear coordinated with my eye says the limp is on the RF, putting heavier weight on the LF and favoring the RF. Fourth,  he's turning his nose to the outside of the circle even tho he's calm and well-schooled on the lunge line. It is not uncommon as a tactic to shift weight to make the circle less uncomfortable.  The nose tip isn't specific to hoof lameness.

I know little about ringbone except that you want A.Perfect.Trim. under those shoes. If he were mine, my first step would be a trim consultation with Lavinia -- with all the work to get good clear photos and digital X-rays. If you have a good ultrasound vet, I might check his suspensories if he shows tenderness. I had a young horse with ringbone and sidebone by age 5. It turned out  he also had a suspensory injury requiring year-long rehab.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator