Re: Sidebone

Susan

Thank you both. That makes me feel a bit better. She's such a sweet mare - has a great personality. I was really worried about her future comfort.

I didn't stress the navicular change because the vet didn't. When I got home and looked at the x-rays, it was really hard for me to find the area on the navicular bone that  he had pointed out. So I'm not sure if it's also something that I should worry about. If so, is there anything additional to what you've already mentioned, that I need to do?

I've tested this years hay. It's 8% (DM) ESC  and 1.7% (DM) starch. A bit higher than previous years, but within the acceptable levels. My lab only reports the results as Dry Matter. The problem with my hay has been a high iron level - this year it was 244 ppm. I'm taking the NRC plus course right now. I'm ready to order the minerals that I need to balance my hay and mix my own custom blend. Until now, I've been feeding the MadBarn Trace Mineral pak because it was the closest commercial mix, in Canada, that I could find to balanced the iron.  I've posted my hay results in the NRCplus files, but I'll add it to my case history so this group can see it too.  This summer she's only been out on grass for an hour a day first thing in the morning.  I have muzzles, but the hole in the bottom doesn't seem to slow my horses down much.

I will get her tested. It's just a matter of budgeting. I had my other horse (Copper) tested for PPID in the spring and the bill was a bit shocking. Do you know if any of the human blood glucose monitors could be used to test horses? Or maybe there is an equine version. I assume it's something that should be tested for regularly, so it would be good if I could do it myself.

Thanks,
--
Susan in BC 2020
Copper and Ella's Case Histories