Re: Does anyone have a draft cross that is "barefoot"?

Sherry Morse

Hi Barbara,

I'm sure Lavinia will have more to say on this but in my experience with work horses (3 Belgians and a Percheron) the large weight/size reason for shoeing is not true.  Our guys were barefoot and we did all our field work with them (living history farm) with no issues.  However, we had a farrier who didn't believe that all draft horse feet should be dinner plates and flare and crack all over.  He kept the boys trimmed properly and we didn't have any issues with them that I can recall.  If you can share pictures of the trim we can offer you more advice on this specific horse.
--
Sherry and Scutch (and Scarlet over the bridge)
EC Primary Response