Re: Help with Hoof Evaluation

Rachel Fazio

Hi Lavinia - thanks so much for your reply, sorry I am still trying to navigate posting messages.  Now that I think I have figured out how to post via the web, I think I will do so.  Yes, Ty has been IR probably for a long while, but we first figured it out in 2016 shortly before I found this site and started taking Dr. Kellon's classes.  We manage him mostly on symptoms - fat deposits over eyes, at tail head and sheath.  During ACTH rise he can get footsore, he also gets lethargic and rubs his head a lot (not sure if that is a PPID symptom) but so far overt laminitis has not been our experience (thank goodness) and hopefully, that trend will hold.  We are very strict with his diet, but during fall the last couple of years we are soaking even low sugar hay (6% ESC less than 1% starch) just to try to keep him as close to normal as possible. - so seems like something more is going on.  I know that cortisol rhythm testing is not a valid PPID test - unfortunately, we have very limited access to veterinary care up here - and our vet is reluctant to do the Cornell test - but I will keep working on him.  Otherwise, we would have to drive at least an hour, which I think would throw off the results anyway.

Ty just turned 26 in May.

If you can do some markups I would appreciate it - his hooves are hard as granite and I think the new trimmer is having a difficult time, but I would appreciate any guidance so I can at least start to have a conversation with her.  She hasn't done anything to the soles on previous trims - but she did trim back the frogs the first trim, this is what has grown back since then and I have asked her not to trim them anymore.

Hopefully, you will receive this reply - but I will also cut and paste and send it out via ECIR main - with Re: Help with Hoof Evaluation Response to Lavinia.

Thanks again,

Rachel