question about self trimming

Jean

Since I live in a rural area of SE WI and my current farrier is very old school and reluctant to learn updated trimming skills for laminitic horses. He Wanted to put reverse heartbar shoes on my horse. I said no shoes. I showed him the mark ups for trimming: : " want me to take that much off". with photos right in front of him with colored lines were to trim, the realigning trim was still not completed. So, with the background said, I want to learn to do the trimmings myself. Any advice?
I will have a farrier coming from an hour away to do the realigning trim and give me pointers, but he is not able to do the trimmings on a regular basis due to health and distance.
Thank you,

Jean