Re: Helping Toby was test results are back

goponies <goponies@...>

--- In ECHoof@..., J Amick <happyday23@...> wrote:

Why is this pony thin soled? What's causing this if the
farrier
isn't taking any sole off?
Do you watch this farrier work? Any paring away of the sole?
IF the farrier isn't taking it off, then nothing is being
produced
within.

This was the problem with my own gelding, due to lyme disease
metabolic
screw up.
This lyme disease also pushed him into IR and Cushings, with
iron
overloaded liver,
but the end result was no sole growth. All of these problems had
to be
resolved and
it included good farrier work done. That was 2 yrs ago now.
watch him like a hawk
for any steps backward in his condition.

I have my gelding in Soft Ride boots now, with 6" of bedding
shavings
when in at night
and he is barefoot. But initially he penetrated both front
feet.
You need to get some support now, irregardless of why he has
thin
soles currently or
you will make this problem alot worse.

The mud and frozen ice are terribly rough on feet and with think
soles
"Yikes"...
Judy-PA

Abby Bloxsom wrote:

Kathleen wrote:

7 years old, 6 laminitic attacks, not IR and not Cushing's?
Clearly,
something is driving the laminitis, but what?
Helen Benoit wrote:

He's thin
soled and seems to get worse when there's mud and lots of rain.

------
Well with help from the Cushings sister list, and after posting
some pics the consensus seems to be that Toby's heels are way too
high causing pressure on the toe. Toby was tested for all you
mention: IR, Cushings, Lyme and everything is negative. Right now
he'll stay on his special IR diet until we resolve his feet. Diet
is ODBC with flax and salt and vit.E I have an appointment this
weekend with a natural trimmer and we'll see what she says of his
feet. Will also post before and after pictures.
Helene