Re: Underslung heels & hoof photos was One of my barefoot experiences

John Stewart

Hi Nancy,

These crushed heels occur in feet when the hoof wall and the bars are relatively weak.
If the bars are taken out too much, there is even less support for the heel so it would collapse more.

I don't think a poor digital cushion will affect the collapsing, but the strength of the lateral cartilages might.

Shoes are not good for these collapsing heels, but the Thoroughbreds over here are almost all shod.  Otherwise, I am sure you are right about the footing.

I have put up 4 more photos.
1. Collapsing heels with curved bars.  2. Then the same foot with the bar trimmed to try to give support.
You will see that the bar curves further forward on the medial side, with the heel curving in more, and there is a flare opposite the collapse.  The lateral bar folds very near the heel and there is less heel collapse.
3. A Clydesdale foot that is collapsing the same way.  Not strong enough for the weight of the horse.
4. The foot of a thoroughbred in the UK that is raced barefoot.  It is said that it had never beaten any horse when shod but, when it went barefoot, managed to win!

Cheers

John