Is this article accurate?

Julie Thomas

Thank you :)

Hi Julie, in addition to Lavinia's excellent post, here is an article may provide some additional insights. I love these Pete Ramey articles - all free for the reading. Several have been updated in 2018 so that is why I was reviewing them again.
http://hoofrehab.com/Balance.html
I found the section titled Considering the Steep and More Sloping Size of the Foot particularly good.
--
MaryS and Hoover

Sept. 2016,  South Central PA
Hoover's Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Mary%20and%20Hoover/Hoover%20Case%20History%202017%2003%2023.pdf

Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=4749  .

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Edited

No. That post is using correlation to imply causation - which is false. It states that because the wall itself is the same thickness, this is a necessary thing. In flaring, it isn't the wall that increases in thickness, it is the laminar connections beneath it that are being stretched and stretched laminar connections are never a healthy thing - there is some pathology that is causing them. It also states that because the flaring keeps returning when rasped away , it is necessary. No, the flaring is a response to something casing damage to the laminar connections. if you don't find and eliminate the underlying cause, the damage will continue to occur and the secondary response - wall flaring - will also continue to return.

Flaring and club foot are two completely different things. Flaring is correctable with trim and by eliminating/controlling the underlying cause of the damaged connections.

A club foot refers to the hoof being extremely upright. In a true club foot, this is due to issues further up the leg that are affecting the bony column and the hoof is responding to those issues to provide support the best way it can. You need to address those issues in order to resolve the club foot.

In a "high"" foot, it is a reference to the comparison between the two feet, with one being more upright and narrow while the other is flatter, wider and longer (Low). There is a tendency to call the taller, more upright foot "Club" when in fact there are trim issues in both feet that are causing the problem rather than a pathology higher up that the feet are reacting to.

Flaring of the hoof wall is due to stress on the laminar connections that is causing the wall to pull away from a tight connection to the coffin bone. In the toe area, this involves a toe that is longer than it should be, thereby placing the breakover further ahead of where the bony column needs it to be. In the rest of the walls, it is excess length placing excess pressures on already weakened connections.

Julie Thomas

https://www.facebook.com/HoofingMarvellous/photos/a.662347543817191/949996621718947/?type=3&theater

I have a horse that has a bit of a flare to one of his hooves.  Everyone calls it a "club foot" and makes it sound like there's something wrong with him.  :(