X rays

Kelly

Hello,

I am thinking of getting lateral xrays on my 9 yr old Paint, Buddy due to his continued long toe, under-run heel/frequent abscess  issues.  My farrier informed me that he probably wouldn't be able to get much info from old-school film xrays that my local vet takes. He seemed to imply that I would be wasting my money if I couldn't find someone to take digital rads. Do you agree?  I'm on a budget and don't want to waste money.

Thanks,

Kelly and Buddy (hope my auto signature works)

2014 Illinois

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Kelly,

"Old-school" xray films are fine for what you need as long as they are taken properly. Poor technique sabotages any xray, regardless of the technology involved. Angle of the view, exposure and marking of the dorsal wall/tip of frog are key parameters. For more in-depth info, read the "Getting Good xrays" pdf. before having them done so you get the most out of the money you spend:

https://ecir.groups.io/g/Hoof/files/X-Rays%20and%20Radiographs/Getting%20Good%20Xrays.pdf

Moderator/EC Support

Josephine Trott

Hi Kelly
The main advantage of digital X-rays is that you can immediately see if it's any good and delete and retake if crappy. I've had old fashioned ones done on my horse and as long as the set up is correct (I know there has to be a file on the groups site describing what barium markers to put where on the feet) and the horse stands still for the shots, the old fashioned will tell you what you need to know. But don't neglect the proper set up to get all the information you need. ie top of coronet band on front hoof wall, angle of front hoof wall and I put markers (push pins) at the tip of the frog, in the central sulcus and at the rear weight bearing point
Others can give you better details about markers (or it's in the files)
Josie

Have a great day!

Kelly

Thank you for the info. The farrier likes to  use some kind of Metron computer program with digital rads, but if I can get the info I need from a properly taken film xray, I think I will go that route.

Kelly and Buddy
2014 Illinois

The Metron software is great and can make it simpler to take actual, precise measurements for the adjustments that need to be made as it can "do the math" for you.

On films, the person doing the trimming needs to do the math him/herself. You can attach a 1" square onto each plate to act as a scale for that view to provide a basis for making calculations.

Moderator/EC Support