Sole hardeners

Maria Duran

Would like to know if sole hardeners work, how do they work and if there is any non desired effect derived from its application like being caustic to tissues or something alike. I have these possibilities if anyone have the time to check them.

The composition of the first one is the following:  Benzalkonium Chloride, Formol, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate.

https://www.farmaciaveterinaria.es/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1712

https://redhorseproducts.com/shop/hoof-care/stronghorn/

https://redhorseproducts.com/shop/hoof-care/sole-paint/

Thak you very much.

María Durán.
Madrid, Spain.

Bobbie Day

Maria
I’ve used Hoof Armor suggested by Pete, seems to work well but you have to work fast. Can you get it there?

Maria Duran

Thank you Bobbie, no I can't get it here. I was adviced redhorse products after not being able to find hoof armor.

Cindy Q

Hi Maria

Just want to point out for the first one, the 2nd ingredient is actually formalin/formaldehyde based on google. It's known to be toxic. Personally would not use it. It's known to be used as a preservative for dead bodies. Ew. Aside from the poisonous nature, it dries out the hoof as I understand it.

The 3rd one is not advertised as a sole hardener. I have used it before and it's a liquid version of artimud which you can paint on or syringe into cracks.

--
Cindy
Singapore, Sep 2017

Cindy Q

Maria, hoof armor is apparently available in many EU countries including Spain according to hoof armor's main website which links to here: https://www.hoofarmor.eu/

But question, why do you think your hoof has soft soles in the first place? For me, where the environment is wet, I use hoof armor every week or 2 weeks applying just a little on the sole area of a thin soled horse. I think it helped to protect the sole from the wet and therefore not be soggy and soft or exfoliate quickly. I've gotten up to 20 hooves on one tube and still have a little leftover in the same tube.
--
Cindy
Singapore, Sep 2017

Maria Duran

Hi Cindy,

Thanks a lot for your help. I find confusing the EU delivery countries they mention. They say they send to EU but don't mention Spain. I will ask them. They send from Austria so I expect big taxes anyway.

I would like to try it for muddy conditions so from what you have shared about the product, I believe it can work well.

Yes you are right about formol, it is also a powerful disinfectant. I don't know if the quantity used in the composition is enough to cause any trouble but better to avoid it if I can, for sure.

I am inclined to try stronghorn but when I read the composition I can't imagine how the product can help other than for having antibacterial and antifungal action. I don't think MSM can do anything there. I was hoping to find something that controls humidity excess but not harming the tissues. In this respect I guess Hoof Armor is best option.

Thank you very much.

Bobbie Day

Maria,
Just a idea and I do apologize if this isn’t allowed 😉
But I would be willing to purchase some and send to you? It might take awhile but I really don’t mind. I would send your mine but it’s open and would probably leak.

Maria Duran

OMG Bobbie, that´s very kind of you. I really appreciate your offer, but I wouldn´t be comfortable making you work to help me. I didn´t have the time to really figure out if hoof armor would send to Spain as I am lately a bit overwhelmed, that´s the reason why I tend to try now what it is easier for me to do and save time but, before I even think of bothering you with this I will find out if they sell it to me.

What´s the best kit to try right now for me? Do you know?

Thank you very very very much. It´s wonderful to have such help and support.

Helen Temps

I tried Hoof Armor with little success.  With sandy soul it wore off in a little more than a day

Sherry Morse

Hi Maria,

My personal opinion is that most of these products work by actually drying the hoof out rather than making it tougher.  Lavinia may have a more scientific explanation but I'm not a real fan of any of them.  What I have had good luck with as a sole protector is Hoof Armor, but I'm not sure it is available to you or if would do what you really want.  If you want to inquire there is an EU distributor listed on the website - http://www.hoofarmor.com/

It is painted on the hoof and will wear off eventually but I've used it on my gelding to protect his bare feet when we were doing 75 miles in the sand. I didn't want him to wear his hoof down with that much work in the sand and I also don't like to use boots in the sand so the Hoof Armor was a good compromise.  It did mostly wear off after the 2 days (50 miles the first day and 25 the second) but he didn't lose any hoof.

HTH,
Sherry and Scutch (and Scarlet over the bridge)
EC Primary Response
PA 2014
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sherry%20and%20Scutch_Scarlet

Maria Duran

Thank you Helen and Sherry,

Good to know your experiences.

Yes Sherry, that was my first question about hardeners for soles, if they make them very dry, maybe it is caustic and not too recommendable. Hoof Armor and Stronghorn work in a different way.

The 75 miles experience is pretty awesome!!! :)

Cindy Q

Hi Maria

For what it's worth, I asked Sam Austin of Red Horse about sole paint and Stronghorn and just got his reply (which seems quite fair to me) below. I do wonder if it's a case of these products are not hardening (beyond normal), but more like making it less soft due to the effect against bacteria etc (ie it being more healthy and therefore closer to normal). I also have no science basis haha!

Hi Cindy,

All the hoof products harden to an extent, primarily through the inclusion on Eucalyptus and other essential oils, zinc sulphate and in Stronghorn citric acid. Stronghorn is meant for the entire underside of the hoof. The exact action of the active ingredients are not fully known so I could present theories but this would be speculation rather than solid fact.

We do know that there seems to be no short or long term damage to the hoof in order to achieve this hardening effect unlike some other hardeners that say they “strengthen keratin bonds” but actually cause microscopic cracks to form!

Kind regards,

Sam

--
Cindy
Singapore, Sep 2017

Julie Thomas

I used Keratex Hoof Hardener (bought thru amazon).  It's a bit spendy, but it seemed to help.  It was recommended by the farrier I had at that time.

We have used Keratex Hoof Hardener on our 17 hd OTTB for years. Made all the difference. Use it daily, or every other day until a thicker sole is established.
Sondra Edwards
Maryland

Maria Duran

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 01:52 PM, Cindy Q wrote:
Hi Maria

For what it's worth, I asked Sam Austin of Red Horse about sole paint and Stronghorn and just got his reply (which seems quite fair to me) below. I do wonder if it's a case of these products are not hardening (beyond normal), but more like making it less soft due to the effect against bacteria etc (ie it being more healthy and therefore closer to normal). I also have no science basis haha!
Hi Cindy, you are so kind asking them and then sharing it with me. So amanzing people here. That´s exactly what I thought about how Stronghorn worked, more in a sense of not making the tissues softer with bacteria and fungus infection, than truly hardening the hoof, so it makes perfect sense to me too.

I have been thinking about all this and have come to agree with myself haha that where there is humidity excess in a tissue, it is wise to have an ingredient in the composition that dries it to some extent so that normal humidity is balanced again. In regards to this line of thought I have a good feeling for Plusfoot and Keratex that Sondra and Julie mentioned (thank you both BTW). All those three products coincide in the composition having formaldehyde as a drier and antiseptic agent.

I belive it is like when you have a recent wound, soft and prone to infection, then povidone is adviced even if it dries and is caustic for the tissues, because in the begining you need the wound not being very moist, once it is dry enough and the risk of infection has vanished, you change to a different antiseptic. This is only how I undertand it but I don´t really know.

So, if my line of reasoning is true or near to it, I have decided to try plusfoot in spray format to control the excessive moist and microorganism infection of the horn and then change to a kinder product. Plusfoot is easy for me to buy and is cheaper than keratex.

Thank you all for your help and support.

María..

Cindy Q

My farrier did warn me long ago (when I asked him what he thought of it) that he found keratex was making hooves too dry and brittle and therefore prone to cracks. Probably there are some cases where it doesn't get there and there are some cases where it does. Your mileage may vary. We are in a very very humid and warm climate pretty much all year round.

--
Cindy
Singapore, Sep 2017

Maria Duran

Thanks for warning me Cindy, I know only one horse on plusfoot (IR and foundered time ago) his hooves are as hard as rock. He is moving great and has a good trim in my opinion. He is being applied the lotion once per week. I believe it is a matter of dosing and balancing humidity, not too dry nor too wet.

I will give it a try and see what happens.

María.

Maria Duran

Just to inform that I am loving Plusfoot spray. I had used it 4 times in alternating days and I am amazed at how I feel the sole and the frog. They look stronger, the sole and the frog stopped falling apart with the classical cholky appearance and the frog looks much more like it should.

I believe it is working as I expected by drying excess humidiy so I will space the applications very soon and keep it only when needed.

Cindy, no answer from Hoof Armor dealer.

Bobbie Day

Marie
Is that something that is only available in your area?
I would like to give it a try
Bobbie

Maria Duran

Hi Bobbie,

I don´t know to be honest. Maybe you can try a search on Google to see what is available in your area. Where are you from? Or maybe in Amazon.

If you don´t find it, I believe the closest thing is Keratex Hoof Hardener suggested here.