Hoof abscess - burst and now horse lame again

Josephine Trott

Karen, I'm so sorry that you had to say goodbye to Haydon. May your happy memories of him sustain you during this sorrowful time.
R.I.P. Haydon

Josie
Davis CA 06/09

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Kare, I'm so sorry for your loss. Although not easy, it sounds like you made the right and only choice for your boy given the circumstances.

Fly free, Haydon. Blue skies and green grass forever.

Joy V

I'm terribly sorry Karen.  It's a heartbreaking thing to do, but the kindest choice.  There isn't really anything I can say to make it any better.  Thank you for being such a loving and good steward to your beloved boy.

--
Joy and Willie
(aka FLS Boxcar Willie)

Nevada County, CA - 2019

gypsylassie

Oh Karen, I'm so sorry for your loss.   You did everything you could for Haydon and then made the hardest decision we have to make.  I'm glad it was peaceful for him, but I know  how much it hurts.  The more we love them, the harder it is, and he sounds like a wonderful horse and friend.
Crying tears of sympathy for you,
Laura Knie
Chappie & Beau over the bridge
2011 N IL

Karen Hocking

Hi all

I am writing this with a heavy heart - Haydon was laid to rest two days ago. The infection had gone into the navilcular, coffin bone and tendon sheath. He had not responded to any treatments over 6 weeks. This was also after 6 months of an eye abscess not healing completely so we suspect something else may have been going on too. It's irrelevent anyway, we were only left with one option. Thanks to my vet is was stress, fear and pain free and I was with him until the end. I am heartbroken as he was my best friend.

Regards
Karen

Karen Hocking

Heidi it's called Phlegmon Black Label Anti Abscess Ointment - put it on Animalintrex, place on the hoof and wrap with vet wrap. I'm in Australia and get it through my vet or Vetnpetdirect.

Cheers
Karen

Heidi Wright

Is there a product called phlegmon??  What is it?  I am looking for alternative options for poultice.  Been using ichthamol and animalintex, but wanted to know what other options are.  My barefoot mentor suggested notusing epsom salt poultice on the coronary band solooking for other things.  My horse is sound now but he still has a hot spot around his coronary band,so I know it's still brewing in there.

Heidi

Karen Hocking

Heidi I have been soaking in epsom salts and then making an epsom salt paste with the Animalintex pad, covered with the elastic vet wrap (x2). Just got some phlegmon from the vet this afternoon - that's what worked last time. It only seems to be coming out really slowly at the moment and he is still pretty lame.

Karen

Heidi Wright

Thanks Karen, you too.  What are you using for your poultice?

Heidi

Karen Hocking

Glad to hear your horse is improving Heidi! I hope that continues :)

Cheers
Karen

Karen Hocking

Thanks Lavinia for the information. We are slowly drawing the gunk out and he goes from totally lame to being able to put pressure on that hoof again. Will continue to soak and poultice until he is 'back to normal'. The vet did warn us there could be multiple pockets - and knowing my guy, there will be lol

We are getting rain here again but the new yard is holding up better than the old one - water runs off a lot better and it is completely dry in his shelter. Fingers crossed things are on the up now!

Cheers
Karen - Dubbo NSW Australia

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Good news, Heidi. Hope he continues to improve.

Thanks for the update

Heidi Wright

Thank you Lavinia for all those great suggestions.  The plastic wrap is a great idea that I had forgotten about.  Yesterday the heat became more concentrated around the coronary band and not very warm on the hoof, so that is an improvement, and he is 99% sound now.

Thanks!  Heidi

Lavinia Fiscaletti

The idea is to keep the poultice from drying out so you want to seal in away from the drying effects of the air. Ditto with the hoof itself, as keeping it softer helps provide an easier path for the abscess to travel out. With thin soles, you need to balance the need for softening with the need not to compromise the sole any more than it already is.

Plastic wrap will keep everything from drying out and it's readily available and inexpensive. You can cover the coronary band with cotton soaked in epsom salt solution, then plastic wrap over the top of that to keep everything moist. A diaper over the top of everything will insulate, pad and absorb anything that drains out. Then stick it in a boot if you have on that fits - or just use vet wrap and duct tape.

To soak, you can  use a soaking boot: pull the boot on, pour the solution in, cinch/duct tape it closed around the pastern and let the horse wander around or put him in a stall with hay to distract him. I've used the Clean Trax boots to soak - they are a tall boot that goes up over the knee, with a nylon cinch strap at the top. Put the boot(s) on empty, then add the soaking solution. Then I attach a lead line to the strap, run it over the withers and attach it to the other side of the boot strap. This keeps the boot from sliding down without you having to watch it constantly, plus it allows the horse to move around a bit instead of having to stand still in one spot.

I wouldn't recommend casting an abscessing foot as that makes it harder to access it for treatment. Plus, an abscess is going to follow the path of least resistance and what that path is depends on where the thing is located inside the foot. Gentle movement, which will mechanically create expansion and contraction inside the foot will help get it moving. Jiaogulan, which helps increase circulation, can also help encourage abscesses to come to a head.

Don't know that there are any statistics on abscesses resolving without draining out. Some may drain out around the frog and not get noticed at all.

NSAID use will slow maturation of an abscess so should only be considered if the horse is so sore it won't eat/drink well.

Heidi Wright

Karen, Lavinia,

I am dealing with a similar issue - an abscess that burst out the coronary band and won't resolve.  Still has heat around the coronary band on the lateral side and that heat extends half way down the hoof wall from the coronary band.  He is fairly sound - only shows minor lameness on it but knowing it is still hot I know its still brewing.

Lavinia, what is your prefered way to wrap a hoof after poulticing?  I have been wrapping thin guaze wrap with vet wrap over it, and then booting him for turn out.  His soles are thin so I always turn out in boots.  Is there a better way?

Also, with a coronary band abscess, have you ever used casting  the lower hoof to "push" the abscess up and out?

You mentioned that sometimes they just resolve without bursting.  Is that rare?  That would be great if that happened.

Karen, good luck with your horse - it may be a good thing it came out the heel where gravity can help you vs the coronary band like I am dealing with.  Plus my horse HATES to be soaked and makes it very difficult to stand for 20-30 minutes.

Heidi

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Karen,

Abscesses can be miserable. Sometimes they drain completely the first time, sometimes not. The abscess can be a single pocket or more than one separate pocket, which may drain at different times or may get reabsorbed without ever exiting out. Oral antibiotics won't help as they can't penetrate into the walled off cavity that the abscess is contained in. Unless the horse won't eat/drink, resist the temptation to use any NSAIDs as they will slow down maturation of the abscess and actually prolong its resolution.

Soak the affected foot in epsom salt dissolved in hot water, twice daily, then wrap the entire hoof to keep the moisture sealed in. You can slather a poultice like Numotizine on the sole/frog and around the coronary band to help draw while the foot is wrapped. No need to confine the horse to a stall as gentle exercise like walking/turnout is fine and will help stimulate circulation, which will further encourage the abscess to drain.

Karen Hocking

Hi all

My horse had an abscess burst through his heel about a fortnight ago - vet came out the day before because he couldn't walk, antibiotics, poultice and bandaged. It burst through his heel bulb that night and the bandage/poultice was kept on for a few days to try and drain as much as possible. The bandage came off about 8 days ago, I cleaned with epsom salt solution, and sprayed with antiseptic. (He has thrush from the recent rains and half the frog has come off in that foot as well). He had been going fine until lunch time today - he was a little hard to clean his feet out yesterday after I took him for a short walk (just with halter and lead, I didn't ride him and we only went about 1km) and didn't want to put all his weight on that foot. At lunch time today, he was lame again on that foot  - I'm guessing another abscess or the previous one hasn't drained completely? I haven't really dealt with abscesses before - what should I be doing to help him?

- Karen
April 2020, Dubbo NSW Australia