xrays posted. Looking for treatment recommendations

emmapote@...

I've posted recent xrays (May 22, 2020) from my 13 yr old OTTB gelding Red who recently had a laminitc episode following a short trim (7 weeks ago). He is on the diet and currently barefoot with padded boots. Still has a pulse in one foot. Other hooves have settled. He is walking comfortably in his boots. Vet recommended putting front shoes back on. I am hesitant as he was shod consistently up until a couple weeks before the trim that led to a laminitic episode. He was sound on Previcox but slightly off without. He is still on Previcox. His diet has been relatively low NSC for the year I have had him. Now he is on the recommended ECIR diet with low NSC hay. Vet will be back in a couple days to take blood and discuss hoof care. Recommendations are appreciated.

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi emmapote,

Sorry you are going thru this with your boy.

Would you please provide the link to the photo album. Also, please sign all your posts with your name, general location and year of joining.

Thanks for your help with this.

emmapote@...

Sorry. Here is the link to his xrays.

emmapote@...

Emma Pote
Ontario Canada
Joined 2020

Lavinia Fiscaletti

HI Emma,

Thanks for adding the link to the rads.

From the rads, I don't believe you are/were dealing with laminitis as much as a trim that thinned his soles to the point of making him very sore. There is no widening of the horn-lamellar zone that would indicate any laminitis issue but there is a slight dishing of the walls in the lower third of the hoof capsule that is consistent with a trim that is leaaving the toes horizontally too long. This is not the same thing as lowering the overall vertical height of the foot.

Soles are too thin, toes are a farther out ahead of where they should be so need to be backed up to set the breakover in proper alignment with the bony column. There is some High-Low present, which means one foot is more upright and narrower (RF) while the other is flatter, wider, heels underrun to some degree (LF). The bony column alignment of the RF is good while the alignment of the LF has a broken back HPA.

Trim needs to preserve all sole, back the toes up, leave current heel height as is. Trim cycles should be more frequent - no more than 4-5 week intervals as any longer means he outgrows any correction that are made.

All of these issues are common and are relatively simple to fix by getting the trim correct. You don't need shoes to fix this. Recommend putting Red in boots and pads to help with protecting his thin soles from abrasion until they have had time to develop more depth.

If you would like specific mark-ups for the trim, you'll need to take a fulls et of hoof photos and add them to Red's album. Here's what's needed:

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/wiki/1472

emmapote@...

Thank you so much Lavinia. That is all very helpful. I will post some hoof pics shortly from today. I would love to hear your thoughts. He went outside in a small paddock with not too hard footing. He stomps at flies and came in with his feet very very broken up. The wall appears to be peeling off the hoof. He has been out of shoes for about 2 months now and so far has had only slight chipping. I would appreciate your thoughts on what is happening with the hoof. His hind feet did not do this when he was barefoot behind last summer and stomping at flies all day long!!

Thank you again.
Emma

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Emma,

None of that chipping is anything to worry about, just rasp it smooth and lightly bevel the bottom edges under. As the health of his feet improves and the trim removes the excess toe length that will stop. Likely his hind feet weren't as compromised (very common) so they didn't split as much. If the weather has fluctuated from dry to wet, that could also be a factor.

Would you please combine all his photos/radiographs into one album, then add that link to your signature so that it's easy to find them when needed. Appreciate your help with this bit of housekeeping.