Crooked hoof -now sore - trim advice please

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Jiaogulan helps to increase circulation by helping to increase nitric oxide formation. That will usually increase the rate of hoof growth - which is a bonus IF the trim is tight. If not, it will exacerbate trim issues. It will also generally help to mobilize any trapped materials within the feet, so would help to clear the abscesses. This could mean a period of more abscesses, however, while the clearing takes place.

I know you've been working on getting the trim tightened up. Her hind toes are still too far out ahead of where they need to be, with underrun heels. Fronts are almost there (yay!) Lateral heel on all four is still flaring outward, although improved from what it was in 2018. Lateral wall on LF, RF, LH are flaring but the RH has the medial wall flaring.

Susan

OK - thanks I'll just stay the course and hope it drains soon. She's had 3 abscess (4 if you count this one twice) since last August and none before that. Is there anything that I could do to prevent more? Would Jiaogulan be something that would help keep her hooves healthier?
--
Susan in BC 2020
Copper and Ella's Case Histories

Lavinia Fiscaletti

That she feels better today, right after that little hole appeared with the drainage, adds another layer of suspicion for it being a draining abscess.

Susan

I uploaded a picture to Ella's photo album.  Could just be a coincident that she got a cut on the same day. There is no wound, swelling or tenderness anywhere else in the limb that I can find. She seems to be feeling just fine. Fine enough to make a fuss about soaking her hoof. I wrapped her hoof. It was easier than fighting with her and a bucket of water.
--
Susan in BC 2020
Copper and Ella's Case Histories
Ella's Photos

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Edited

Hi Susan,

Sudden lameness on only one foot is the classic presentation for an abscess if there is no injury to that foot/leg - swelling, wound, puncture, tenderness higher up the limb.

An abscess will break out thru the easiest path possible. Where that is depends on the location of the abscess. They can drain in one, quick event or take a prolonged time, sometimes in a drain/stop/drain again scenario. An abscess can be one pocket or more than one, which will take longer to resolve. Sometimes they start to drain, which alleviates the pain, then seal up before draining completely.

Soak the foot in the hottest water the horse will tolerate + epsom salts, a couple of times per day. You can also make a wrap with wet cotton soaked in epsom slats, then cover it in plastic to keep it moist. Cover the whole thing in a boot or a diaper with duct tape/vet wrap to keep it in place. The idea is to keep the foot soft to provide an easier path for the material to get out.

Movement is also helpful as that provides pressure to squeeze out the trapped material - not forced movement, just allow the horse to move on its own.

Unless she's not eating and drinking normally, resist any temptation to use NSAIDs as that will only slow down the entire process and slow down the resolutipon.

Do you have a picture of it the hole?

Susan

Ella was moving better and looked sound until yesterday, when she came up lame again. In the same hoof - right front. Yesterday morning she was barely putting any weight on it. I put her in hoof boots and packed them with a poultice. She moved comfortably in the boots, but when I took them off in the evening she seemed  more sore. This morning she's moving a bit better with out boots on, but not completely sound.

This morning she has a small spot of blood (and a tiny hole) between her ankle and coronet band at the back of her leg - above the frog. The blood is in that little indentation above the top of the hoof - not at the hairline. I've never seen a abscess break out that far up. There is no pus. Is it possible for abscesses to come out there? If in fact that is where an abscess is draining, I imagine it will be difficult to get it to drain completely since it's above her hoof. Should I put a poultice on her ankle?

If it was an abscess causing the lameness a month ago, is it possible that the same abscess can get better and then come back again? I didn't notice anything rupture last month and can't find a hole, she just slowly seemed to get sound. I assumed it was something with the trim that was making her sore. Lastly - could the way  she's trimmed be causing abscesses due to a mechanical reason (ie the way she's landing)?

Thanks,
--
Susan in BC 2020
Copper and Ella's Case Histories
Ella's Photos

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Thanks, Susan. Those will be fine.

Susan

I've posted a complete set of hoof pictures here: Ella's Photos. Let me know if you can work with them or if there are any that need to be redone.
Thanks
--
Susan in BC 2020
Copper and Ella's Case Histories
Ella's Photos

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Susan,

In order to help, I'll need a full set of current hoof photos. Please see here for what's needed:

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/wiki#Photos-and-Hoof-Evaluation-Help

On the lateral and dorsal views, please be sure to set the camera far enough back so that the cannon bones are included as well. Each foot needs to be taken individually otherwise you end up with obliques rather than true dorsals.

Susan

I'd appreciate some advice on my mare's trim. She has a slightly crooked right front foot. She's been like that as long as I've had her.  I bought her at 5, she's now 9. I'm not sure if she was born that way. She has been sore on that hoof a few times since I purchased her for short periods and it was usually following a bad trim. Mostly there have been no problems. She typically has been able to walk over very rough course ground barefoot with no problems. She's never had shoes.

I've been trimming her myself since 2018. There are a few pictures of her hooves just when I started to trim her and from yesterday. For the last few weeks, she's been a bit sore in that hoof. I could tell that she wasn't reaching as far with her right leg as her left. No head bobbing, just short stepping. I can also see her jabbing her toe into the ground sometime. After the recent trim that I did on Thursday, she's been stepping tender on uneven surfaces. I can feel a pulse on that side. She was out on grass for one hour in the morning until about 10 days ago, when it seemed that both of my horses were starting to show signs of laminitis.  They have only been getting hay since then.

As you can see from the pictures, the hoof wall is very straight on the inside and flares on the outside. There tends to be some separation in the hoof wall on the inside in the warmer weather and less in the winter.  The toe of her right hoof will  grow a "ski slope" or "slipper" shape if I don't take the toe back. The shape of the sole from the bottom is asymetrical. She has very straight angles on her fronts, but she is a Lusitano and it corresponds with her steep shoulders.

Originally I was following Maureen Teirney's method, but I find that it didn't provide enough guidance for unusual hooves. More recently, I've been rasping the flare from the outside  to try to get that flare under control.

There is still a bit of hoof wall (maybe 1/4") above the sole at the quarters and the heel on the outside. Do you think taking that down would alleviate some of the soreness? I'm worried that  would put that hoof on more of an angle to the outside than what she normally wears them. She always grows more hoof wall on the outside than the inside of that hoof.  Should I take more of the flare off on the outside?

She may be IR - my vet warned me that this bred is susceptible to PPID. She's still a bit fat, but she's lost some weight since the winter. She's got a massive neck and that scares me for the future. I've posted photos of her hooves and her body in Ella's Photo Album.

Thanks  in advance for any advice,