Really Hard Hooves - Soak First?

Atticus' hooves are really hard right now, the best I've seen them that I recall, no thrush.

However, I'm 68, female, and not that buff even though I've been doing his and Diamond's feet myself for at least a year.  Supposedly the rasps last through ten horses, but I'm lucky if they're any good to me for four trims.

What are the pros and cons of soaking his feet first before I try to trim?

Thanks.
--
Laurie Higgins

Atticus 2016 - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Laurie%20and%20Atticus/Atticus%20Case%20History/Atticus%20Case%20History.docx.pdf

Diamond 2017 - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Laurie%20and%20Atticus/Diamond%20Case%20History/Diamond%27s%20Case%20History.pdf

Lavinia Fiscaletti

It's not only you, Laurie. I can remember my farriers years ago - big, burly guys -  periodically cursing when the feet would get that hard in the dry summers. I really appreciate having a grinder when the feet get like this.

You can certainly soak them before working on them - no harm and it can help.

Tucker

I've used a product called "Like Butter" and it really works well. Just mix a small amount with some water, put it in your soaking boots and even 15-30 minutes soaking makes a huge difference.

Tucker

Hi Laurie,
I have use a product called "Like Butter" that is amazing. Just put a small amount in some water and soak hooves in soaking boots - you don't even need to do the entire hoof, just the bottom. I soaked for 1/2 hour before the farrier arrived and it made a huge difference. Good luck! I have been filing Indigo's hooves between farrier visits and it helps if they aren't so hard.

Thanks to you both.  I don't have any soaking boots that fit him, but I have a rubber pan.  I'll soak each foot that way and hope I can do at least one.  :)
--
Laurie Higgins

Atticus 2016 - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Laurie%20and%20Atticus/Atticus%20Case%20History/Atticus%20Case%20History.docx.pdf

Diamond 2017 - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Laurie%20and%20Atticus/Diamond%20Case%20History/Diamond%27s%20Case%20History.pdf

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Large zip lock bags will also work - just pull the bag over the hoof, pour in water, duct tape closed around his pastern, then let him stand in his stall.

Josephine Trott

I don't bother with soaking but just spray their feet with 50% vetrolin linament mixed with water a few minutes before trimming.  Saves me from popping a hernia and tearing arm muscles trying to close nippers on otherwise rock hard feet and doesn't rust the tools. I learned the hard way not to use a spray containing vinegar before trimming feet.
Josie
Davis CA 06/09