collateral ligament, arthritis coffin bone

Lavinia Fiscaletti

If the the extra-long trim cycle exacerbated that old injury, getting the trim really tightly balanced should help enormously. Agree with the vet that he might also benefit from some short-term NSAID therapy to help control any lingering inflammation.
Depending on exactly what the joint issue is, an injection may also benefit.

Moving forward, things to try would be the usual joint supplements: chondroitin, glucosamine, HA, Mov-Ease. If this has become a chronic issue, products containing devil's claw may provide relief. It does take some trial and error to find what works best for each individual as everyone's reactions to the different supplements are different.

You can send the rads to me at:  shilohmom @ outlook . com  (remove the spaces)

--
Lavinia
Jan 2005, RI

Moderator/ECIR Support

Daisy Shepherd

thank you lavinia .whisper is a horse i gave away about 2 1/2 years ago; he just was not happy with steady work, i was his 9th owner in his 10 1/2 years;  it was  about 8 months before  i gave him away he was dx with ultrasound of collateral ligament issue tx with shock wave with much improvement  and was sound when he left.  i see him on a regular basis as he still holds my heart. he is bare foot, does lite trail riding and is quite happy.  he started being gimpy about 6 weeks ago and was in need of trimming for about 2 months, his owner does her own trimming , does a really good job but had multiple health problems that all came together so was behind on her trimming. when i lunged him he was quite happy to w,t,c both directions, could see gimpness both directions but only from right front which is where the original ligament occurred  ;  he got his trim and greatly improved  but not gone.  he does not react when leg is palpated. i paid for a vet call,  she said from exam he looked improved, had some arthritic changes of coffin bone, felt it was more arthritic than ligament. when  the vet texted me she did not say she did xray i just assumed and i have not heard back from her.  plan is to do  lite exercise 3 to 4x per week and see how he is in about 6 weeks ,he is 17 years.  i will pay for his supplement to help with arthritis, also will keep up with his trim.  any arthritis supplement suggestion greatly appreciated, i will always have his best interest in my heart. if i get xray info what is your email?  thank you so much, daisy and tiko and whisper

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Do you have the radiographs available, Daisy?

If it's an arthritis issue Tendon EQ won't help.

--
Lavinia
Jan 2005, RI

Moderator/ECIR Support

Daisy Shepherd

maybe lavinia can help.  whisper, haflinger, 17 years;  lameness right front, much improved with well balanced trim, arthritis from xray, lives out 24/7 hugh dry lot.  gimpness worsened with over due trim; vet suggest injection of coffin joint  , to use bute or equinoxx as needed for pain ;  i wonder about the uckele products tendon eq and/or their hemp joint supplement.   any suggestions greatly appreciated. thank you, daisy and tiko and whisper