Abby-questions about Hotti's cast pictures

Teresa Palumbo <teresa@...>

Hi Abby,

I was looking at Hotti's cast pictures (again) and have a couple of
questions; if you don't mind.

1)Were you filling the area between her heel and shoe with anything?
This was something I saw on the DVD that came with the equicasts. I
think Dave mentioned Vettec's Equipack.

2)How did the studs work w/ the casts? Were they exposed? I would think
to be effective on ice, they would have to be, but I couldn't tell from
the picture.

I am just so impressed with the amount of heel growth you got in 3
months!

Thanks for your time!

Teresa

Abby Nemec

Teresa Palumbo wrote:
Hi Abby,
I was looking at Hotti's cast pictures (again) and have a couple of questions; if you don't mind.
1)Were you filling the area between her heel and shoe with anything?
Dave showed me how to twist the cast material like a rope around the heel on the 3rd or 4th wrap. Then it fills in the space there. Much easier than Equithane, and pretty effective as you can see.

2)How did the studs work w/ the casts? Were they exposed? I would think to be effective on ice, they would have to be, but I couldn't tell from the picture.
I am just so impressed with the amount of heel growth you got in 3 months!
Thanks for your time!
Teresa

Okay so there's evidently a keyboard shortcut to "send" that I didn't know about - typo!

Teresa Palumbo wrote:
2)How did the studs work w/ the casts? Were they exposed?
Worked great. I wrapped the cast right over the studs and they cut thru the cast in short order. I used P11 studs, which have some height to them, instead of P13 which is more like a little burr on the shoe surface. I also used screw-in studs for her in the summer, as she's an event horse, and I would drill and tap the holes, wrap the cast over the holes but push a little dimple in the cast so I could find them, and then use my hand tap to clean the holes out once the cast was set up. I also used my knife to tidy the edge of the hole so that it was easier to install & remove the studs.

Teresa Palumbo <teresa@...>

Abby,

Thanks so much for the info. More food for thought!

My little driving pony just refuses to grow heels on his hind feet.
It's a real problem as his feet will slide under him occasionally. In
the year I've been trying to patiently wait for improvement I've
avoided doing much hill work with him...I'm always worried he'll
slide going down the hill. I drive a two wheel cart, so don't have
brakes to help him...he is my brakes!

We just put hind shoes w/ little studs on him (left the front
barefoot) and he already seems much more comfortable and confident on
the hills. I may try adding the equicast to hopefully speed things
up. I am hoping that when he finally has his own heels we'll be able
to go back to barefoot...he's got tough, healthy little feet.

Thanks again! I really appreciate it!

Teresa, Alixia and Ollie (the driving pony)
Lititz, PA