Topics

All about respect

Abby Nemec

Ute wrote:
Over and over again I and others have found, that when people start to apply shoe "gadgets" to hooves without addressing the real underlying cause(s), the hooves will break down further until it is allowed to heal barefoot.
Who said I recommended applying a "gadget" without addressing the underlying cause? Our list philosophy begins with diagnosis, diet, and trim. Those three principles must be established and maintained before we can begin to go forward. I do believe it's exceedingly disrespectful for you to come on this list and toss stuff like this around without appreciating our whole basis for existence.

I can see the Equicast perhaps being a solution for a hoof with severe hoofwall trauma, but not for laminitis and founder cases.
Then you haven't tried it. There is nothing else you can do to a laminitic horse who is still marginally comfortable that
- costs a few dollars
- can be applied in 5 minutes
- lasts for weeks without tampering
- supports healing
- AND causes the horse to sigh and correct its stance IN SECONDS after application.

Actually you may need to be careful in cases of severe hoof wall trauma due to sanitary issues and only a vet should be applying a cast in that instance.

Those hooves
will most effectively heal bare, with correct trimming, diet and exercise. As with many things, keeping it simple is usually the best approach.

You're speaking out of school here, Ute. You can't paint with so broad a brush about a tool you have not used. You're more than welcome to say "they give me the willies and I'm afraid to try them because I like the way I do things". If you would just say that we would all leave you alone.

The problem is, you're talking way beyond your experience level. Please, in future, learn to describe your opinions in more objective fashion. A more appropriate way to phrase your paragraph above would be as follows:

"I prefer to stick with bare. I trim well, and with diet and exercise in place I have not found it necessary to use other methods yet. I like a keep-it-simple approach."

Can you understand that the difference in wording means everything?

We need to listen more to the horses - they will tell you what works and does not. And always challenge accepted wisdoms, because they may be outdated or simply wrong!

Yah - and when the "accepted wisdom" in question is Barefoot is Always Best I am the first in line to challenge it.

Can we get some information settled here, Ute? Just so our list membership has some clue of who's doing the debating on this topic, please tell us

How long have you been trimming?
How many steady trim clients do you have (equines, not owners)?
How many different climates have you trimmed in?
What percentage of your trim clients have you followed for a period of over 3 years?
How many of your clients are laminitis/founder cases?
How many laminitis rehab cases have you successfully restored to soundness (either by long-distance consult or hands-on work)?
How many horses have you trimmed from birth until mounted work is well established?

I guess that's enough. If you answer all of these questions, I'll gladly answer them too.

-Abby
List Moderator