Topics

Another question about hoof/sole growth...

Stacy

Thank you for helping to educate me by answering my quesitons about
how the hoof sole grows a couple weeks ago. So now I have another
quesiton... does the sole grow at the same rate/speed as the hoof
wall? I can see where the founder line is growing out on the wall,
but don't see any differences on the sole. How can I 'see' the sole
growth, or can I? I am probably watching too closely, but want to
ensure that he is growing his hoof correctly, and want to see the
concavity return.

Thanks!!

Stacy

Abby Nemec

Stacy wrote:
Thank you for helping to educate me by answering my quesitons about how the hoof sole grows a couple weeks ago. So now I have another quesiton... does the sole grow at the same rate/speed as the hoof wall?
Maybe.

I can see where the founder line is growing out on the wall, but don't see any differences on the sole. How can I 'see' the sole growth, or can I?
The "terrain" changes as the sole grows. New cells are forming, but old cells are wearing off at the same time. We look for changes in shape, horn quality, & exfoliating tissue.

I am probably watching too closely, but want to ensure that he is growing his hoof correctly, and want to see the concavity return.
When it returns you will know!

If you want to post pictures to the list we can all have a look for you and help you know what you're looking for