Topics

Anyone familiar with cellulitis

KC

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is potential of cellulitis causing long term damage
to the leg. My horse had a case of it a little over year ago along with a big abscess in the toe
in the left hind leg. She had 3 flareups before I found out that it was cellulitis causing the swelling
and not the abscess. I had never heard of cellulitis before then so I have no experience with this.

The reason I ask this is she is showing signs of lameness in that leg when she
is going downhill while trail riding and she is mildly lame for short while after. Rubbing her leg down
with liniment does seem to help. When she is on flat, she seems fine. I was wondering if
the cellulitis could have done some kind of damage to that leg.

Thanks
Kathy in Ohio

Sherry Morse

Hi Kathy,

Cellulitis can return again as it seems to have some effect on the circulatory system but it's usually a sudden onset, causes acute swelling and possibly lameness along with the swelling and is then resolved.  What you're describing is something that you probably want to discuss with your vet as it could be arthritis, hock issues, or something with a suspensory or tendon or any other part or her leg that's causing the issue.
--
Sherry and Scutch (and Scarlet over the bridge)
EC Primary Response

KC

I'm aware that cellulitis can return & become even chronic so far that's not the case here. What I was interested in knowing is if the swelling from cellulitis could
cause unknown damage to the hock, tendons, etc. and if anyone has experience this or not. I also realize it could be something else unrelated to the cellulitis but
this didn't show up until after the cellulitis. It just got me curious if it was related somehow.

I do plan to talk to my vet but timing is a big issue. I don't know when or what actually triggers the lameness other than it shows up the most when she goes downhill.
I don't think its the trigger and it's a bit random plus it only lasts a day or so. So getting my vet there when she's lame so he can see for himself is nearly impossible. I'm not
sure if he would find something thru flex tests or not if she wasn't lame. Once the lameness is gone, she moves normally. It also doesn't happen every time I ride her either.
One other thing I have noticed is the muscle in the left hind leg isn't "toned" like the right, It appears almost "underdeveloped" in a way. My thought was to continue riding her
and with good exercise to see if there's improvement before involving my vet. The last thing I want to do is waste my money and his time but I also don't want to do more harm.

Thanks
Kathy in Ohio

Sherry Morse

Hi Kathy,

The fact that you're seeing a difference in the muscling between her two legs plus the lameness would be a good indication to me that it's time to get the vet involved - even if it's just a phone consult at this point to see what he thinks of the situation.  Were she mine I'd have an appointment set up for a lameness exam including x-rays because it sounds like there is something chronic going on with that leg.

FWIW my mare broke her left hind pastern and then years later had two episodes of cellulitis and once went right to lymphangitis in that leg but wasn't ever lame on it otherwise.