Big Brown

Jax The Wonder Cat <jaxthewondercat@...>

Thanks for the link to that blog, that was an interesting video.  I think it is probably beyond hope for the thoroughbred breed in general as to healthy hooves!  Brown has more heel than Summer does (or ever did).  I think a lot of hoof problems are as much the result of care as heredity though.  No AI for him though, the Jockey Club doesn't allow it.  jamie coughlin

ranginui2007 <lynjwilliams@...>

Until people stop shoeing and racing thoroughbreds before their pedal
bones are mature and also stop stabling them and feeding them high
carb food while they are still growing, we really can't say make
definite judgments about genetic deficiencies.

Interesting about the Jockey Club rules on AI - does that apply to the
export of frozen semen?

I wonder how many jockeys belong to the Jockey Club? :)

Lynn

--- In ECHoof@..., "Jax The Wonder Cat"

Ute <ute@...>

--- In ECHoof@..., "ranginui2007" <lynjwilliams@...> wrote:

Until people stop shoeing and racing thoroughbreds before their pedal
bones are mature and also stop stabling them and feeding them high
carb food while they are still growing, we really can't say make
definite judgments about genetic deficiencies.
Very much agree, plus the fact that they are also pumped full of drusg.
Any of those factors could potentially be contributing to bone
demineralization - we just don't yet have the research to back it up.

Ute

aptly_asked <aptly_asked@...>

ranginui2007 wrote:
Until people stop shoeing and racing thoroughbreds before their pedal
bones are mature and also stop stabling them and feeding them high
carb food while they are still growing, we really can't say make
definite judgments about genetic deficiencies.
Interesting about the Jockey Club rules on AI - does that apply to the
export of frozen semen?
I wonder how many jockeys belong to the Jockey Club? :)

Lynn

--- In ECHoof@..., "Jax The Wonder Cat"

For a thoroughbred to be registered anywhere, it must be a live cover. This is to prevent one sire from being overwhelmingly dominant. Can you imagine the genetic bottlenecking that would have occurred after Northern Dancer, Secretariat, etc, if A.I. was allowed?

Not going to comment on the high carb food thing because if they don't get it, then they're in trouble. TB's burn off the calories very quickly. There are more issues here than simple feed and stabling. Foaling, use of illegal or ill-advised drugs to make babies grow faster (yes it's done), starting them too young, racing them too often, relying on drugs more than physical conditioning, blather blather blather. I've worked in the TB Racing industry for 5 years, and have been closely involved (although no longer professionaly) for another 10. I won't defend the industry, but I will defend the horse.

Paul