Blood and bruises

Maria Duran

Hi all,

León, the rescue horse found in BSC of 1 (to say something) was finally trimmed yesterday, Dr. Kellon you know him. I have the videos of the trim if it is of some interest or help.

The white line was stretched at the toes on both front hooves (hinds are scheduled later to let him rest). He had bruises in the soles and some old blood in the white line. He is not IR or PPID.

My questions are:

- What the blood and bruises in the soles and white line mean in a horse that has been neglected and starved to such point but is not having EMS? I can think of mechanical laminitis but he has been laying down until 6 weeks or so (don´t remember right now) and now he is a very cushioned floor, standing up by slings.

- When you see the blood showing at sole level either for the sole bruises or white line, how much time before you see it was the insult done?

- Sole bruises are always due to stones or small sole clearance from the ground or can blood coming from the white line travel so that it shows in the sole plane too?

Thank you very much in advance.

María Durán.
Madrid, Spain.

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Maria,

Blood/bruising showing up in the white line or sole is an indication of damage that occurred previously. The only place there is any vasculature in the hoof is hugging the coffin bone itself like a hairnet, and inside the the depths of the soft tissues in the back of the foot. Have a look at this venogram:

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/photo/1106/5?p=Created,,,20,2,0,0

Mechanical forces (poor trim, concussion), diseases, malnutrition all have the potential to negatively impact the hooves and show up as bruising. Something happens that results in fluid leaking from the vessels surrounding the coffin bone. This is then incorporated into the tissues that are closest to the damaged area as they are being formed and carried downward toward the ground as the hoof grows.

Not sure what you mean by your second question "how much time before you see it was the insult done?"

Maria Duran

Thank you very much Lavinia. I wasn't sure if a sole bruise could be caused by other than a stone or hard terrein. I didn't understand how blood could be incorporated in the structures so thanks for the explanation.

The venogram is very clear.

What I meant to say (sorry because I am very clumsy sometimes) is, how can I estimate the time passed since the episode that caused the blood extravation to when it appears at sole level. Sorry because I feel I am still not clear but don't know how to ask this.

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Edited

That makes perfect sense.

In a sole bruise, I don't know that you can extrapolate that information as you can't see all the growth the way you can in the wall. Plus, anything leaching into the sole may trickle lower thru fissures in and/or between the layers, thereby showing up more quickly.

Maria Duran

Thanks Lavinia,

Sorry to ask again but is it possible that the leachimg also happens in the blood seen in the white line?
I remember a mare from a friend having some foot disconfort and a week later blood was appearing in the wall (white hooves) at middle height. All the perimeter was showing blood but it was at the middle so is it possible that gravity leaches the blood through out the white line too and tissues incorporate the blood?

As an aside, I remember a post in ECIR where Dr. Kellon said, when you see the blood, the insulting episode was done at least xxx weeks ago, but I can't remember the period she mentioned.