Boot for horse with steep angle on a front hoof

Susan

Can anyone suggest a hoof boot for a horse with  high heels and a steep angle? She has a bit of high low syndrome. I've sent pictures to scoot boot and they told me that their boots won't work for my horse. I making due with a pair of easyboot gloves. But it's hard to get  her toe  all the way to the front, even though the width is right (and I have the wide version). After walking around in them a bit her toe seems to slip into the front, but the gaiter around the ankle is very loose and gaping. I'd like to leave them on full time until she gets sound, but I'm afraid she'll catch the gaiter on something, so they come off at night. And I'm also worried that because it may be a bit loose in the toe, that the break over is in the wrong place, which isn't helping her with her heel first landing. You can see pictures of her hoof in Ella's photos. It's her right front that is the problem.
--
Susan in BC 2020
Copper and Ella's Case Histories

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Susan,

That's going to be a tough one as the majority of the boots are designed to be used on feet where the trim is pretty optimal, which means the heels are the appropriate height. Your best bet is going to be one of the rehab-type boots like the EasyCare Clouds or the Soft Rides as these have a more forgiving fit.

All boots should have a good bevel added to the treads at the toe to help get the breakover into the correct place. More on that here:

https://www.hoofrehab.com/BootArticle.htm

In the rads from 8-2020, there was slight rotation of the RF, so she needed to have the heels lowered a bit to correct that.  From the 6-2020 pix in her album, all the toes needed to come back more, heels were underrun, flares present on all four feet - all of which is going to make boot sizing very difficult.

Diann Kuzma
One Hoof at a Time
PHCP Practitioner
Joined 2018