Topics

Cavallo Simple Boots Are Uncomfortable

Judy and Bugsy

I really like the design and simple use of my new Cavallo Simple Boots but as soon as I put them on Bugsy, he immediately starts lifting up the booted hoof. When both boots are on, he alternates them. His nose/mouth goes to the back of the boot showing me it’s uncomfortable around the heel bulbs. As soon as the boots are removed, he stands still. I’ve been in contact with the manufacturer and they are not sure what is bothering him. The sizing is confirmed correct. I tried a very thin pad but that didn’t make a difference. Bugsy is used to boots and wraps so that’s not the issue

Anyone else have this experience? If so how did you resolve it?

Thanks!

Judy and Bugsy
Saskatchewan
Spring 2020

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Sounds like the boots just aren't a good match for his feet at this time for some reason. That may change over time as his hooves become healthier or it might always remain a mismatch.

Jan 2005, RI

Moderator/ECIR Support

valerie pedersen

We find the Cavallo Trek boots comfortable, but there is a breaking in period, as they may have mentioned to you. The leather stretches a bit, like a shoe. They even have a short video describing it. I hope you figure it out, as we have had great luck with them.
Valerie and Sydney

Jeanne Q

--I had a very similar reaction with Cavellos with Glory.  The heel of the boot was definitely not a fit for her at this time.  She would also nose the boot to show her dislike.  For now she is back in her Clouds but I have a pair of Equine Fusion Recovery's on the way to try.  Hopefully, they will be her winter boots.  The snow is already flying!

Jeanne Q Minn.

Judy and Bugsy

Thanks for the responses.  Jeanne, could you keep me posted about the Equine Fusion boots?  I oiled the Cavello's Simple which made them much softer/pliable but haven't tried them again since.

Jeanne Q

Hi Judy
Glory and I are both loving the Equine Fusion Recovery boots.  She has been turned out in them for the last four days in a fresh snow.  The boot tread does not collect snow and has better traction than the Clouds.  She seems more comfortable than in her Clouds, which is huge!  The neoprene top allows for hooves not perfectly shaped, like Glory, as it stretches to conform.  The elastic strap is an interesting design that wraps up the hoof wall to conform the neoprene to the hoof.  The top is close fitting so snow doesnt get in.  Break over is better than the Clouds but I still will be taking a rasp to the toe of the boot to get an even earlier breakover.  My only reservation is the zippers.  So far they have worked fine but my experience with zippers and horse boots tells me this may become a problem.  They are not 100% waterproof.   Rather, I would say water resistant.  Glory was just a the top measurement of size 11 so I had them send sizes 11 and 12.  The 12 is perfect for putting in a thick wool pad or 12mm Comfort Pads and then a wool sock on her hoof.  Im keeping both pairs as I like them so much.  Hope this helps!  Best of luck!!

--

Jeanne and Glory
Minnesota

lmittler@...

Jeanne,

I just became a dealer for Equine Fusion boots because my clients had so many issues with Cloud boots falling apart over the last few months. EasyCare didn’t seem concerned about the issues so I found a replacement boot. I LOVE the Recovery boots! I already have a few horses in them and they love them too! Equine Fusion boots are so well-made, great quality! I love that you can toss them in the washing machine to clean them up. Just wanted to share in your joy! Lol!

Lisa Mittler
Barefoot Hoof Practitioner
South and Central Texas
January 2019

Collaeyn Hazen

Hi Judy,

One of my boarders tried Cavallos so I had a chance to check them out/try them on,  but I feel like if a hoof has heels that don't fit perfectly, they are very rigid in the back and will be uncomfortable. I did rehab in clouds then Easyboot RX (which are much lighter and to me, seemed to last longer than clouds - and less expensive), then went to scoot boots and for a while flex boots. We now ride in flex boots as my horse's hooves aren't suitably shaped for scoots but the scoots provided a lot of drainage which was nice for long term turnout.
--

Collaeyn, Monty, Shark, and Duke
Sewell, NJ

Bobbie Day

I can attest to that, they just had a very good Black Friday sale so I bought two pairs, one I tried on Desi with extra padding around her foot but they just didn’t work, and no one seems interested in them so back they’ll go I guess.
Equine fusions are what she wears on a regular basis, I should have just spent the money on what I knew would work.

Judy and Bugsy

Thanks Collaeyn

Even after trying to break in the Cavallo Simple with leather conditioner and 30 min wearing time Bugsy still lets me know that they are uncomfortable. I was looking at Scoot Boots but with their design they would not offer warmth for winter laminitis (I’m not sure if this is Bugsy’s case or not - he has leg wraps and a blanket and so far has been good with -20 Celsius temperatures).

I will take a look at Flex boots. Thanks!

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Judy, the equine fusions might be suitable for you too.  They are fully enclosed and come in leather or nylon uppers.  The Flexboots are not a good choice for warmth if that's your goal, or keeping feet dry.

--
Kirsten Rasmussen
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Think of hoof boots as being like our plain rubber boots - work to protect from the elements and hard ground but unless they are lined, your feet freeze in them when the temps drop. None of the hoof boots are going to provide warmth by themselves because none of them are insulated. Although all the boots provide some degree of concussive/wear protection, you need to add socks or some other type of insulating layer inside the boot to provide the warmth factor. You can also use shipping boots that cover the foot to help with insulation. How much insulation is needed depends on how sensitive to the cold a particular individual is.

Definitely use blankets on the horse as that keeps the body itself warm so that there is less of a demand for blood to be shunted away from the extremities to conserve heat for the body core.

Jan 2005, RI

Moderator/ECIR Support

Kirsten Rasmussen

Although that said, if he's ok at -20C then you're probably not going to get winter laminitis with Bugsy.  The only time Shaku shows tenderness in the winter is when the ground freezes and gets icy, otherwise cold temps and snow don't bother him at all.  So that might be Bugsy's situation, too?

The Flexboots ARE nice for underrun heels though since how tight you fasten them at the back is customized to the horse's hoof, where other boots could rub the heel bulbs more...

Bobbie, I also bought a pair of Cavellos at 40% off, I just couldn't resist the "Bling" ELB model for fun, but not likely to do much riding in them...they are too pretty!

--
Kirsten Rasmussen
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Jan D

Has anyone tried the Equine fusion recovery boot?

Jan
Indiana
2002

Jeanne Q

Jan if you will look further down in these messages Ive posted about the Recovery's.
A quick update would be that Glory is much more comfortable in them vs. the Clouds.  She wears the EF Recovery's every day now.
--

Jeanne and Glory
Minnesota

Judy and Bugsy

Thanks for the information everyone.

For added warmth I would put socks on Bugsy's hooves but the Scoot boots are  quite open and the socks would just get wet immediately, so I was looking more for a closed boot.  Since my initial post, we've had some terribly cold weather go through and Bugsy has not shown to be sore at all (no boots, just shipping boots and blanket(s).  I'm extremely thankful that he isn't showing winter laminitis signs as that could be a real PITA to deal with. I'll continue letting him wear the shipping boots and blankets and just change out the shipping boots with dry ones when the boots get full of ice.