Topics

Classys x-rays

Linda Headley <hooves@...>

Classy is listed in the files under "One Classy Okie" Classy if
anyone wants to look at that part of her history. She had her ddft
tendon cut on her right front foot and was immediately able to
finally stand upright on both front feet normally for the first
time. My vet had his farrier put on eggbar shoes after we went back
and her redden ultimates were removed. He didn't take more x-rays at
the time, which is where I fault him. We were supposed to go back
for the third time to get her shoes changed again, but my mom had
heart surgery and we weren't able to go. My farrier thought that the
sole was right against the shoe, so he worked on the shoes so that
didn't happen. Next, her right shoe came off, so we had her barefoot
for awhile. I tried barefoot with all of the supposed correct trims
for over a year before resorting to the tenotomy and Eleanor advised
me. I had read up on these new shoes by redden and thought perhaps
they would work better. I should have gotten x-rays first.
Unfortunately the local vet can't take the best x-rays, but I
couldn't make the two hour trip back to surgery vet etc. Anyway, the
local vet(who is by no means a horse expert) thinks that the shoes
need to come off and the toe needs to be whacked way back. What
surprised me about the right foot is that the coffin bone didn't
derotate etc. You have to keep in mind that Classy was foundered
severely for a year before she was given to me, so I realize she may
not be able to be fixed. I am having severe health problems with
both parents and an aunt right now, so can't devote as much time as I
want to the horses. I love this mare though, and would love to make
her comfortable enough to enjoy herself.
Linda, Althea, Woodrow, Herbert, Classy, and Thumper

Claire Vale <clairevale@...>

Hi Linda,

Do you mean the photos in the album 'Linda's Classy'?

If so, these are x-rays taken BEFORE reshoeing, I hope <G>. It looks
like she had rolled toe shoes that unfortunately were placed too far
forward to be of much use. The x-rays show a lot of coffin bone
remodelling, rotation of the hoof capsule, and considerable rotation in
the PII-PIII joint (which is probably why a tenotomy helped - chances
are underneath the rotation she could have club feet as well). When
reshoeing, did the vet show the farrier the best place to put the break
over point to balance the internal forces of the hoof?

The unfortunate truth is that with this much coffin bone remodelling,
it's likely Classy isn't ever going to be totally 100% sound again and
her feet will always look a bit funky, however that doesn't mean she
won't be comfortable and happy. Sure, she won't go out and be a world
beater, but she can be Queen of the Paddock just fine <G>. I trim a
couple of horses who probably have this degree of remodelling (no x-rays
but hoof form indicates major changes), and both have become a lot
sounder, happier and healthier with balanced trimming.

What style(s) of barefoot trimming did you/your farrier try (e.g. Ramey
/ KC / Strasser / LIM / ...)? I'm a 'barefoot' trimmer myself, and have
had a lot of success with rotation using a specific trimming tweak that
removes all pressure from the wall so that it can begin to grow in
without being further levered away, however not all trimmers use this
method. I just don't see how to rim-shoe a horse and place all it's
weight onto the hoof wall, and expect the fragile new laminae to take
that weight without continuing to tear and rotate...

With this degree of coffin bone remodelling, it's a bit of a crap-shoot
on whether you really want to totally de-rotate the joint again to it's
original position, since the new shape is no longer balanced like that
(you do of course want the hoof capsule rotation dealt with, so that it
is strongly connected to the coffin bone surface all the way). By
placing the breakover point in the 'right' position based on the new
coffin bone shape (just in front of the leading edge of the ski-tip),
you allow the hoof capsule to remodel and show you what is correct for
this foot now, which might or might not be totally joint de-rotated.

Without seeing new x-rays or at least photos of the feet (especially the
sole), there is no way for us to know how far back the breakover point
should be moved, if at all. When you next get some x-rays, it would be
a good idea to get the vet to tape a marker down the toe wall right from
the coronet to the ground, and to insert a tack in the true tip of the
frog as well - this allows you to measure distal descent, and to use the
frog tip as an external marker for trimming.

Hope this helps, and that all goes well with your family.

Claire Vale
New Zealand

--- In ECHoof@yahoogroups.com, "Claire Vale" <clairevale@...> wrote:

Hi Linda,

Do you mean the photos in the album 'Linda's Classy'?

If so, these are x-rays taken BEFORE reshoeing, I hope. No, the
vet who did the surgery is over two hours away and his farrier only
comes every six weeks during the week of course. I have used all
personal days etc. and can't miss more work. That vet didn't take
rays before reshoeing after the surgery. He told me that Classy would
have to wear eggbar shoes for atleast six months due to the
tenotomy. If you could see the x-rays taken before the surgery, you
would realize that even those these x-rays are terrible that her
coffin bones and the amount of sole are much better. Right foot was
almost through the sole then. Funny you should mention the club foot
thing because that is actually what her one foot looked like before
the ultimates etc.

Dr. Kellon consulted with me, with me sending her hoof pictures etc.
for months and my husband did most of the trimming. Not sure what
method she used, but there was improvement. The local vet didn't
consult with the farrier before these shoes were put on. I know that
wasn't right, but there are few options here in So. Illinois to help
your horse. With my family problems and finances starting to be a
problem I'm just doing what I can. I have three other cushings
horses besides Classy. New camera with very little internal memory.
Waiting on memory card to be able to take pictures of her hooves.
Won't do much good to get more x-rays due to inexperience of this
vet. I'm rambling, but will post pictures when I can.
Linda, Althea, Woodrow,Herbert, Classy, and Thumper