Topics

Classys x-rays from before her ddft was cut

Linda Headley <hooves@...>

I have posted Classys' original x-rays that were taken in Oct. 2006
before she had her surgery. Even though her feet don't look too well
now, you can see how much worse they were before the surgery. This was
the third time that her right front foot had rotated and almost come
through the sole.
Linda, Althea, Woodrow, Herbert, Classy, and Thumper

Claire Vale <clairevale@...>

Hi Linda,

Yes, you can see that the right foot has de-rotated in the PII-PIII
joint somewhat, which is excellent.

However, if the latest x-rays are of the shoes Classy currently has on,
I can see why the vet wanted the breakover point brought well back,
since it is definitely a lot more than 1/4 inch in front of the leading
edge of the coffin bone and this vastly increases the stress in the rear
half of the foot. This in turn causes the horse to avoid weighting the
heel, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Classy was actually
landing toe first on her feet even though she clearly has a lot of
rotation and damage to the toes.

If you're keen to continue shoeing, I'd suggest getting in contact with
Gene Ovnicek (www.hopeforsoundness.com) and perhaps asking him for some
pointers on shoeing feet like these - I don't know if or how the coffin
bone remodelling alters the location of the 'ideal' breakover point,
and getting this correct is a very important part of re-balancing the
internal forces within the foot and allowing healing to the entire hoof
structure.

Claire Vale
New Zealand

I have posted Classys' original x-rays that were taken in Oct. 2006
before she had her surgery. Even though her feet don't look too well
now, you can see how much worse they were before the surgery. This was
the third time that her right front foot had rotated and almost come
through the sole.
Linda, Althea, Woodrow, Herbert, Classy, and Thumper

Yahoo! Groups Links

Linda Headley <hooves@...>

--- In ECHoof@yahoogroups.com, "Claire Vale" <clairevale@...> wrote:

Hi Linda,

Yes, you can see that the right foot has de-rotated in the PII-PIII
joint somewhat, which is excellent.

Classys' shoes are off and we have trimmed the feet somewhat the way
it is suggested on the HopeforSoundness website under the part about
stewart clogs. I have pictures, but can't get them to download. Dr.
Kellon suggested these clogs, but we will have to see if our farrier
can put them on. If she works out barefoot, we will leave her that
way. I'll try again later to post the pictures.
Linda, Althea, Woodrow, Herbert, Classy, and Thumper