Topics

Common soft tissue injury from pulling a glue on shoe?

Does anyone know of a predictable soft tissue injury from a horse pulling off a glue on shoe? I didn't see the act.

On May 15th, my Diamond pulled a new to us glue-on shoe, the Easyshoe Compete, with the sole packed with dental impression material.  Since she was immediately very lame on that side, RF, I assumed she was foot sore. About 5 days later, my trimmer put that hoof in a cast with dental impression material. No change in lameness. June 2, glue-on was replaced with the usual brand we've used for more than a year. No change in lameness. We both assumed she was foot sore, sole bruised or abscess brewing. She'd been in J-herb since shortly after she came to my in 2018.

A light bulb finally went off when I belatedly studied and palpated the swelling/filling of the pastern below the fetlock. It looks like a tiny inner tube all 360 degrees above the coronary band, and it's soft and squishy. That could definitely be caused by a soft tissue injury higher up in the leg, draining down and collecting at the coronary band. She was so uncomfortable  that I put her on Devils Claw/Boswellia, suspending J-Herb for a few days. It took me about 4 days to get the dose right, and now the relief she feels is obvious.  She looks so much brighter, and while she still limps a bit, she's much more herself.

I'm not asking for a diagnosis from afar. If a particular soft tissue injury is more common from pulling a shoe, say stepping on a lose shoe with another hoof and then yanking it, it would help me know where to check and, if I have to call out the vet, to schedule the ultra-sound with instead of the digital radiograph machine. Thanks for any ideas or experience.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

I should have mentioned the swelling/filling is reduced except for on the lateral side right above the quarters.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator
Cayuse Case History                Cayuse Photos
Diamond Case History              Diamond Photos

Years ago one of my horses pulled a shoe and she injured a collateral ligament on the inside of her fetlock/pastern area, front leg. I had her checked by my favorite "leg" vet. She recovered just fine. After a week of rest the vet had me hand walking her 2xday  for a month. The lameness was noticeable after a few days but the injury takes longer to heal past that period where the head bobbing stops. The controlled walking exercise helps the damaged fibers heal correctly in alignment instead of being a knot of scars. Obviously I am trying to remember how my vet describes the healing process and the importance doing the walking. She was/is a track vet and dressage rider. She helped me get my endurance horse's thru various leg injuries using the controlled, slow exercise with ultrasounds to check on progress.
--
Bonnie Snodgrass 07-2016

ECIR Primary Response

White Cloud, Michigan, USA

Mouse Case HistoryPhoto Album

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Edited

Hi Cass,

What the injury might be is going to depend on what she was doing when she happened to remove the shoe: stepped on it from behind? by the opposing foot? twisted it off during a spinning move? stuck in a hole or under a root? Different scenarios will impact different areas of the limb. Palpating to localize the painful area would be my go-to, then a dialogue with the vet on what diagnostics would be most appropriate based on the apparent location of the injury.

Thanks, Bonnie. That's very helpful.

--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator
Cayuse Case History                Cayuse Photos
Diamond Case History              Diamond Photos

Thanks, Lavinia. I know there's no one answer and agree completely with what you're saying. Devils Claw+Boswellia provided such dramatic relief within 4 days that it turned this skeptic into a believer.  The swelling went way down.