dental impression putty in hoof boots?

Becky Ferry

Hi,
Previously someone suggested to use dental putty to help fill the deep grooves when using boots. There is lots available on ebay but it says it has a x minute setting time, so is that the wrong stuff, or do I want it to set hard in the grooves? If so how do I get it out & how long would I leave it in?!

To dates I have been using chopped up pads but thought this might be worth a try - or would modelling clay / play doh be better?

TIA
--

Becky

2010 UK NRC

The DIM - Dental Impression Material -  is a rubbery material that can be used with boots as well as under shoes. It consists of two parts that must be blended together (squished until thoroughly mixed) to create a chemical reaction that activates them. There are different formulas that set up with different "give" once they harden. They will mold to a much firmer and less giving shape than a pad does so you get less of a release phase than you would with a hoof pad. Great for providing more support in a highly compromised foot. You pull it out daily just like any other boot pad but you will have a custom-formed pad that fits that foot exactly so you need to remember which one came out of which foot.

Modeling clay and play doh are not suitable as padding materials because they have no "give". They do they work well to pack the collateral grooves for taking radiographs so that you don't get shadows that can make interpreting the views more complicated.

Michele Einarson

Can DIM be used in boots when riding?  My gelding is now in laminitis rehab shoes, but I'd like to get him barefoot, but he'll need boots for riding.  I'd like to give him more sole support in the boots.

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Michele,

Yes, you can use DIM in boots as long as you get it set up before you actually ride - otherwise it may shift. Using pads in the boots is another option - just need to experiment with different ones to find which your horse prefers.