Topics

Dremel tool

llkeach50 <LLKeach@...>

--- In ECHoof@yahoogroups.com, Abby Bloxsom <dearab@...> wrote:
I have used a cordless dremel, which they don't even seem to notice
after the first couple seconds.
*******Abby,
Have you used the dremel tool to remove the casts? It took us 2 hours
to get one cast off and the dremel tool was the only thing that finally
worked. We didn't have a good rasp or nippers, and the farrier can get
a cast off in 10 minutes.....but we couldn't wait for the farrier. We
used a LOUD dremel and Scooter didn't move a muscle!

Linda and Scooter

Abby Nemec

llkeach50 wrote:

*******Abby,
Have you used the dremel tool to remove the casts? It took us 2 hours to get one cast off and the dremel tool was the only thing that finally worked.
I have tried, and it was excruciatingly slow. What tip did you use, since the ones I have don't cut cast material worth a hoot.

We didn't have a good rasp or nippers, and the farrier can get a cast off in 10 minutes.....
Get your farrier to leave you with an old hand-me-down rasp. That you can use to go around the edge at least, & then you can cut the back w/the dremel.

With practice, your farrier will get cast removal down to a couple minutes.

llkeach50 wrote:

*******Abby,
Have you used the dremel tool to remove the casts?

I have tried, and it was excruciatingly slow. What tip did you
use,
since the ones I have don't cut cast material worth a hoot.
***** We used a conical grinding head. It's like really rough
sandpaper, but in a conical shape. It worked FAST around the edge of
the shoe, then we used tin snips to cut down the back of the cast at
the heel bulbs. We did have an old rasp, but it didn't work as fast
as the dremel tool, plus we aren't used to using a rasp......

With practice, your farrier will get cast removal down to a couple
minutes.

***** I don't think he would believe that at this point ! :)

Linda and Scooter

Mandy Woods

I have found using the sandpaper barrel on the dremel works pretty good getting through the cast to the aluminum shoe.  It also works great on ramping the bars.   Actually, its my favorite accessory for the dremel.  When I double cast him and decided to take them off , the sandpaper barrel really went through the casts pretty fast if you put pressure on it.
Eleanor suggested that since Asher is in casts and the weather has been so cold down here that I wrap his front feet.... What fits over a cast foot?  I cut off some jean legs and slid them over his cast then doubled the left over fabric up the back of the leg.  To make that waterproof,  I had some old 45 ml pond liner that I cut in a rather large circle and placed his jeaned foot/cast in the center and then pulled the sides up and duct taped that around the pastern. They stayed on, he stayed dry (we had snow) and warm.
Asher has been in casts for a year......it used to take me two days to get one off.  Now I can take one off and recast in one day!  I like to trim the foot immediately while its still 'soft'.   The secret is in the correct tools.  Nippers are wonderful,  sharp rasps are most helpful,  I use shrubbery clippers for the heel to shoe cut and then start peeling the edges with the nippers after all the rasping to the shoe is done.  I love the dremel tool and I've used an angle grinder on him too but that is too noisy and bulky for me.
Mandy