DSLD Trim Please Evaluate

Marquise has DSLD and a whole host of other problems, many stemming from 24 years of having terrible feet. Is there anything that can be done to improve his trim?

About a year ago I changed trimmers and posted photos. For over a year my trimmer has barely touched sole and only heel enough to keep it from running under and crushing, but he just will not grow foot at all. We back the toes just as far as we feel comfortable and he is most comfortable this way. His hocks are getting straighter and straighter.

I would welcome any markups and suggestions.

Thank you in advance for any help that can be offered.
--
Amber, Calliber and now Marquise
Upstate SC

NRCPlus Jan 2019
CIR 2019
DEW 2019

Calliber Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Amber%20and%20Calliber
Calliber Photos https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=82557

Marquise's Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Amber%20and%20Marquise
Marquise's Photos https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=91447

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Amber,

I know how frustrating it can be to have a horse that is a bit like peeling an onion - every time you think you've reached the center (and your tears are over), another issue rears it's ugly head. There are some tweaks you can implement to try to get his trim to support him more.

Overall, the trim is doing pretty well. Part of the hocks getting straighter is the DSLD. As his fetlocks drop, they will inevitably cause the joints above to open more to compensate. The underrun heels are also being exacerbated by the DSLD as it changes where his weight is concentrated when he lands.

Some suggestions are to bevel all the toes under more so that you creep them back a bit more with each trim. This will also help him to breakover more easily, so places less stress on his compromised ligaments/tendons. Don't remove any sole anywhere, even if it is exfoliating - it will wear itself off. Leave the bars alone except to lightly knock off any parts that are crumbling or breaking away. To encourage the heels to move back, leave the vertical height alone. Ramp the back of the buttress and start using the heel-bar junction as the buttress. Bevel the wall itself in that area out of ground contact. That removes the crushing pressure on the horn tubules, allowing them to stand more upright  See esp. figure 2 and 3 here:

http://www.hoofrehab.com/HeelHeight.html

Thank you so very much!

We will continue to plod along with your suggestions. I will forward your response to my trimmer and let you know if she has any questions.
--
Amber, Calliber and now Marquise
Upstate SC
Joined in 2019

NRCPlus Jan 2019
CIR 2019
DEW 2019

Calliber Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Amber%20and%20Calliber
Calliber Photos https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=82557

Marquise's Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Amber%20and%20Marquise
Marquise's Photos https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=91447

Lavinia,

This is from my trimmer...My main question is when there are raised lumps in the sole sitting above the bar height, is it ok to leave that or could it cause bruising?

Thanks so much!
--
Amber, Calliber and now Marquise
Upstate SC
Joined in 2019

NRCPlus Jan 2019
CIR 2019
DEW 2019

Calliber Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Amber%20and%20Calliber
Calliber Photos https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=82557

Marquise's Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Amber%20and%20Marquise
Marquise's Photos https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=91447

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Leave those areas alone.

Sole depth doesn't necessarily build evenly. Areas that need the most help can develop sole more quickly. When you shave that down, you are thinning an area that is doing exactly what you want it to do.

On a horse with thin soles, the less you touch the soles, the better.

Thank you! That is a totally different perspective that what I have always thought, and it actually took 3 times of reading your response to actually “get it”!

We’ll keep you posted!
Thank you!