Easyboot question....

kelly andersen

I've started using Easyboots on Shorty and am a little frustrated.
Since I started using the natural trim, Shorty forges....bad. The
front heels are getting clipped almost every step.

Add forging to Easyboots and you get lots of experience applying
Easyboots.

I tried using bell boots over the top and that did seem to help. Need
to move up to the next size of bell boot. He's already in Large.

I'm tempted to take a set of snips and express my creativity on the
back flanges. Are the back flanges a hugely necessary part of the
boots or will a little trimming be okay?

I bought straight Easyboots, not the Epics. Do the gaiters help with
forging? I add them if they'd help.

kelly

Claire Vale <clairevale@...>

Hi Kelly,

Forging / over reaching usually occurs when the horse leaves the front
foot on the ground fractionally too long and the hind foot 'catches up',
and that usually happens because the breakover point (the leading edge
of the foot) is too far forward making it hard to get the front foot off
the ground.

If the breakover point is too far forward, and the boot doesn't fit
really really snugly at the toe, then it's quite likely that with the
boots on the breakover point is even further forward, which then makes
the problem even worse... Many people adjust the toe of their boots (by
adding a bevel at the front edge) to move the breakover point back to
the 'correct' spot for their particular horse, and you may find this
very beneficial for Shorty.

What sort of trim method are you using, and more specifically, how are
you determining where the breakover point should be? If you're not sure
how to describe the trim / breakover point position, then some photos
would be very useful. The main ones would be a side on shot of the hoof
(with the camera on the ground), and a sole shot with the lens centred
over the middle of the foot (about 1 inch back from the tip of the
frog).

Some horses seem especially sensitive to changes in weight on the
hooves, and boots can make them more 'clumsy' until they learn to
adjust, so if you've only just started using boots that might be part of
the issue. If the balance of the feet and boots is correct, then
gaiters may be your best answer. However, since you say he is forging
now even without the boots, I'd guess that the balance of the hooves
isn't quite correct. Gaiters won't help with forging, although they may
help reduce the chance of the boot being pulled when it happens.

Claire Vale
New Zealand

I've started using Easyboots on Shorty and am a little frustrated.
Since I started using the natural trim, Shorty forges....bad. The
front heels are getting clipped almost every step.

Add forging to Easyboots and you get lots of experience applying
Easyboots.

I tried using bell boots over the top and that did seem to help. Need
to move up to the next size of bell boot. He's already in Large.

I'm tempted to take a set of snips and express my creativity on the
back flanges. Are the back flanges a hugely necessary part of the
boots or will a little trimming be okay?

I bought straight Easyboots, not the Epics. Do the gaiters help with
forging? I add them if they'd help.

kelly

kelly andersen

Hi Claire.

The trimmer I'm using is a 'disciple' of Pete Ramey. He's worked on
Shorty 3(?) times now. Shorty's feet were pretty ugly when this
started and they are looking pretty good, but have a ways to go yet.

I was putting his boots on last night and noticed that he's got
marks on the heels probably from the forging. Clearly gotta do
something.

I noticed the forging about a week after the last trim. The next
trim is the coming Friday. I'll bring it up with Randy then, for
certain.

The pasture trim we were doing before kept his foot more upright, so
there wasn't as much toe up there. In my mind, that foot still
looks totally wrong. I'm still adapting to the new look of the foot.

I bought the Easyboots instead of the Epics because the horse
destroys *everything*. The gaitors will have a very limited
lifespan. Might have to do them anyway and take my chances. In the
meantime, I might visit a draft horse site and see if I can get
bigger bell boots.

I'll post pictures if I don't get some satisfaction from Randy.

Thanks Kelly

--- In ECHoof@..., "Claire Vale" <clairevale@...> wrote:

What sort of trim method are you using, and more specifically, how
are
you determining where the breakover point should be? If you're
not sure
how to describe the trim / breakover point position, then some
photos
would be very useful. The main ones would be a side on shot of
the hoof
(with the camera on the ground), and a sole shot with the lens
centred
over the middle of the foot (about 1 inch back from the tip of the
frog).
.

Claire Vale
New Zealand