Topics

egg bar shoes

Ute <ute@...>

Could be several issues:

  • Incorrect trimming leading to high heels and possible heel contraction causing pain or cutting too much sole and frog, possibly leading to tenderness
  • Horse might be metabolically challenged by the diet causing loss of concavity, making the hoof more tender and in addition could cause frog deterioration, which in turn might cause deep frog clefts with thrush problems.

The fact that the horse has possibly underrun heels is an indication to me that the horse might indeed be metabolically affected by too many NSCs (starches,sugars and fructans) in the diet. It tends to cause excessive toe growth /flare due to looser laminae connection that also tends to pull the heels under. It would also mean that the horse is constantly affected by low levels of inflammation in the hooves. Typical warning sign that a horse is metabolically affected are:
  • Tender feet
  • Thin soles & hoof walls
  • White line separation or disease
  • Ripples and/or red lines growing down the hoofwall (sign of consistent compromise of hoofwall to laminae connection)
  • Frequent thrush problems
  • Ratty looking frogs and/or with deep central frog clefts
  • Dropped soles (loss of sole concavity)
  • Excessive toe growth (toe flare) with underslung heels
  • Softer hoofwall and sole
  • General excessive chipping, cracking and flaring (not trim related)
  • Easy bruising and abscessing
  • Poor wound healing

Egg bar shoes are only a band-aid solution. All  cases of egg bar shoes I have encountered eventually failed and the horse became even more lame. I would not recommend this solution.

Best wishes in finding the real root cause :-)

Ute

BALANCED STEP
Ute Miethe  - LMT/LAMT NCTMB
Nationally Certified Massage Therapist & Natural Performance Barefoot Trimmer