equicasts - laminitis

sharon williams <skwilliams5@...>

So just how is the equicast removed? Do you have to rasp it off the walls, or can it be peeled
off in some way?

This has me really curious.........

Sharon

Larson <seahorses3@...>

Sharon, quick response here - you have to see the video to get a feel for how it's taken off. Rasp, yes, but not the walls themselves - when Abby catches her breath, she may be able to articulate the details. The video shows a farrier using a chisel and rasp, at the bottom of the foot with rasped grooves to make it easier up the back, and then it (sort of) peels off. I know they'll be finding a new and easier way soon, though now it takes commitment (or a cooperative farrier) to use them. But commitment to our horses' comfort is what keeps us all going, right?

Carol and Blue in Maine

At 12:10 PM 2/24/2008, you wrote:

So just how is the equicast removed? Do you have to rasp it off the walls, or can it be peeled
off in some way?

This has me really curious.........

Sossity

In a message dated 2/24/2008 5:52:46 PM Pacific Standard Time, dearab@... writes:
You rasp around the edge of the foot/shoe to separate the bottom from
the wall part. Once you're done, you take a nipper & cut vertically at
the heel to free the "bracelet" & pop it away from the wall.
Abby,

Do you think a grinder would work in place of the rasp?  I don't currently have experience with a grinder for trimming but I know a lot of people do, and I wonder if that's another place where a grinder would be a good thing to have and know how to use.

Thanks,
Sossity

XV11Star@... wrote:
/Abby,/
// /Do you think a grinder would work in place of the rasp?

If you and the horse can safely use a grinder on the foot, by all means.

-A

Larson <seahorses3@...>

Abby is my consult farrier and I don't think she'd mind my saying you have to KNOW how to use a grinder.  My cow "farrier" uses one on my cows and they are held fast and tight with straps when he does it - and he does it for a living.  Those hooves don't move an eighth of an inch.  He is very, very careful not to hold the grinder to the hoof for very long because of the heat it creates.  It would take only seconds to create a long-term problem if it's not a tool you use frequently.

The rasp is, I grant you, a lot harder - I wish I were capable of using a grinder - but the rasp is far more forgiving.

Carol and Blue in Maine