First timer with Laminitis

SandyJ

I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly,  I think I read all the necessary files.  I do have a horse that was diagnosed with laminitis and I'm wanting to get him some help. We got him in June of 2017 from a rescue and he's always been a slow, hard to get him moving, hard to keep weight on horse. He is a 21 year old ottb. His previous vet and farrier said that as he got his needed nutrition from pasture and deworming he would improve and I didn't need to do anything.  He has pasture 24/7 with a run in shed, water, salt and mineral blocks and then we added in Purina Equine Senior this past November when the vet & farrier didn't have any other ideas for me on how to help him gain weight and keep hooves from splitting and cracking. He has been putting on weight and looking good but still not improving with movement or cracking hooves. Called a different vet out and did xrays, laminitis diagnosis and vet said that he has foundered at some point.  This vet recommended a farrier that does special shoes. He came out the same day & did custom shoes, Griffin has a leather pad to create sole, aluminum plate and dental epoxy with this shoe. Recheck exam, xrays and farrier are on 2020-09-14. I am looking for other things I can do to help him.  I've seen others talk about ice baths or boots - since we don't know how long he's had this would ice therapy still help him? The vet said that regular pasture turnout is fine and that I didn't need to change his diet.  After doing some reading about IR and EMS I discontinued the Purina Equine Senior and now have him on just timothy grass pellets and beet pulp shreds soaked into soup to mix in the msm powder and biotin.  I have ordered Amino Trace from Mad Barn and it will be here in a couple days.

Questions I have: Do I need to start ice therapy?
Do I need to put him in a dry lot or get a grazing muzzle or keep him on pasture turnout?

Pic Album https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=252102&p=Created,,,20,2,0,0

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Sandy,

Welcome to the group. This is the Hoof sub-group of the ECIR Group. The focus here is all things hoof and for specific discussions of horses that aren't IR/PPID.

Due to your boy's age, and the fact he has been diagnosed as laminitic, PPID is a strong possibility. Although TBs aren't IR as a rule, if he has PPID, then he may also be IR, which would be part of the underlying causes for his laminitis. For these reasons, it would be better if you posted your questions on the main ECIR group rather than here. That way, we can better address the entire situation with your guy:

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/messages?expanded=1

I took a look at the radiographs. Your boy has foundered, soles are really thin - which would explain his reluctance to move. The LF had an extremely long toe and underrun heels. RF toe was perfectly aligned. The problems with the mechanics of the trim were at least part of the reason you were having issues with cracking hooves and no improvement in his movement.  Did the new farrier make any changes to the trim on the LF before adding the shoes/pads/DIM? It would be really helpful if you could get a full set of hoof photos and upload them to album so we can see how the trim is. Here's what's needed:

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/wiki/1472

Icing is not going to help in this situation. Padded boots would be an option if he didn't have shoes - and could be an option in the future if you choose to remove the shoes at the next appointment. The only way to know whether you need to change his diet - including the pasture - is going to be by having blood work done to see whether he is IR and/or PPID. In the meanwhile, the diet changes you have made are definitely good precautions. As he is still sore, keeping him on a dry lot with soaked hay would be a good idea as that is a way to provide safe calories. Uncontrolled PPID will cause muscle loss, esp.along the top line.

When you post to the main group, you will receive a full Welcome message, which contains the details of the emergency diet, what blood work to request, etc.

We'll also need you to fill out a Case History for your guy so all his info is in one easy-to-locate place.