Founder RF after heels raised

toranada

Hi, I'm fairly new to the group and have been doing a lot of reading
here. I have a question and I'm hoping someone might be able to help
me.

I was wondering if raising my horses heels could have caused him to
founder on the RF.

My horse was showing a slight limp on his RF, vet blocked the coffin
joint, still sore, blocked the heel and he came sound. Vet felt that
he had a deep bruise in his heel and recommended raising his heels.
My farrier was against it but did as the vet asked and put wedges in.
Ghost became increasingly sore over the next few days, farrier came
out and removed the wedges and noted that he was walking like he had
foundered on RF. Xrays showed he had foundered 8-10 rotation on RF,
LF was good.

Is it possible that the founder was caused by raising his heels and
how come only the RF?

It sounds like a silly question but I'm trying to rule things in or
out that may have caused him to founder.

Thanks in advance............Maureen

Claire Vale <clairevale@...>

Hi Maureen,

I'm guessing raising the heels might have contributed to the founder
taking place, but that there was probably some issue (most likely sub
clinical laminitis) already present that the change in heel height
exacerbated. Or it might just be total coincidence and they're totally
unrelated <G>.

If you haven't done x-rays on the LF as well, it might be a good idea,
just to double check that there isn't some rotation in there as well
(some horses will founder worse on one foot than the other - usually
because one foot was less healthy to begin with). It would make a
useful 'base-line as well to compare the RF against. If you're unsure
about how to best deal with the rotation, then posting photos of his
hooves (following the instructions in the Files section on getting the
best shots if possible) and even of the x-rays will allow us to have a
look and make some suggestions.

Other than that, does he show any signs of Insulin Resistance,
Cushing's, or any other metabolic issues? They are most likely the
original trigger (this would probably be best discussed on the original
list, since this group is intended for hoof related issues only), and
you'll need to deal with that in order to make a lasting difference to
his feet.

Claire Vale
New Zealand

[...]

Abby Nemec

---- toranada <toranada@...> wrote:

I was wondering if raising my horses heels could have caused him to
founder on the RF.
Raising heels can induce rotation in a damaged/compromised foot. If the foot is functional, with tight laminar connections, it won't. So, if he's rotated now & wasn't before you had a damaged foot to begin with. If he was rotated before but not lame, then raising the heels can EASILY have caused him to be more sore. This is why we (on this list) recommend lowering heels first. If you lower the heels and the horse becomes more sore you can wedge them back again a little until they improve ... but if you wedge them up first you can cause some problems you didn't have before that are really tough to deal with.

---------------------

Jackie <stc4qh@...>

Maureen, I'm certainly not an "expert" but I can tell you about my mare Gacy.  May 06 she was diagnosed as being foundered with rotation and some sinking, vet treated her by raising her heels.  After several weeks wearing these wedges, she rotated more and eventually went through excruciating coronet abscessing.  To top it all off, when the wedges were removed they said nothing more could be done for her other than tendonotomy surgery making her a pasture ornament.  Well, I must say I scratched that suggestion and found a natural hoof care trimmer and help from the yahoo groups equine founder and cushings/ir.
Jackie and Gacy

toranada wrote:
[...]

Jackie

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

toranada

--- In ECHoof@..., Abby Bloxsom <dearab@...> wrote:

---- toranada <toranada@...> wrote:

I was wondering if raising my horses heels could have caused him
founder on the RF.
Raising heels can induce rotation in a damaged/compromised foot.
If the foot is functional, with tight laminar connections, it
won't. So, if he's rotated now & wasn't before you had a damaged
foot to begin with. If he was rotated before but not lame, then
raising the heels can EASILY have caused him to be more sore. This
is why we (on this list) recommend lowering heels first. If you
lower the heels and the horse becomes more sore you can wedge them
back again a little until they improve ... but if you wedge them up
first you can cause some problems you didn't have before that are
really tough to deal with.

-Abby
Thanks everyone for your input. When the vet diagnosed him with a
bruised heel I really think it was the onset of laminitis, which he
had about with 2 yrs ago. So I guess by raising his heels it caused
more damage to the laminar tissue. I should have listened to my
farrier, who managed to get Ghost sound again, he hasn't had a sore
day since mid May.

--
---------------------

toranada

--- In ECHoof@..., "Claire Vale" <clairevale@...> wrote:

Hi Maureen,

I'm guessing raising the heels might have contributed to the
founder
taking place, but that there was probably some issue (most likely
sub
clinical laminitis) already present that the change in heel height
exacerbated. Or it might just be total coincidence and they're
totally
unrelated <G>.
I think Ghost was experiencing the onset of laminitis and it wasn't
a bruised heel.

If you haven't done x-rays on the LF as well, it might be a good
idea,
just to double check that there isn't some rotation in there as
well
(some horses will founder worse on one foot than the other -
usually
because one foot was less healthy to begin with). It would make a
useful 'base-line as well to compare the RF against. If you're
unsure
about how to best deal with the rotation, then posting photos of
his
hooves (following the instructions in the Files section on getting
the
best shots if possible) and even of the x-rays will allow us to
have a
look and make some suggestions.
I had both hooves Xrayed and only the RF showed damage.

Other than that, does he show any signs of Insulin Resistance,
Cushing's, or any other metabolic issues? They are most likely the
original trigger (this would probably be best discussed on the
original
list, since this group is intended for hoof related issues only),
and
you'll need to deal with that in order to make a lasting
difference to
his feet.
Ghost is not IR or Cushings and not overweight but we have addressed
the type of feed and hay that he get. Ghost has been sound since
mid May thanks to my farrier. I just wanted to find out if raising
his heels could have caused the founder, but as I thought it wasn't
a bruised heel more likely the onset of laminitis.
Thanks.......Maureen

Claire Vale
New Zealand