Help! Confusion about about shoeing/ not shoeing...boots, no boots, etc

whitehorsebullet

The more i read, the more confused i am on what to do about my horses
hooves. I have addressed the diet issues and feel I am on the right
track there. So i guess i want to know if it is better to leave Bullet
(who turned 24 today) barefoot if he is only minimally ouchy, and moves
around freely, but very thin soled, and flat footed, espeically one
foot or should i boot and pad and or shoe and pad for support? As for
my other horse, he is also thin soled and sometimes ouchy, but overall
is ok. I do have xrays under "Bullet" on here. They are not current,
but they haven't changed that much (changed for the better, except for
sole depth which is about the same). I had some new xrays done, but
don't have them here. I will post those soon.
Ann-Marie, Bullet and Sonny

Nancy C

Hi Ann Marie

Happy Birthday to Bullet!

I know how you feel and have been in the same predicament.  The pics you have in the Bullet file were posted February and I believe are shots taken in that time frame.  If that's the case, my opinion as a horse owner who's been there, is that he needs more work to make him comfortable.   He needs to be able to move as part of the process to help his feet.  If he's uncomfortable, even a little ouchy, he won't move and/or will move incorrectly.

My path was to keep Beau barefoot and use pads and boots.  Keeping him barefoot allowed for more frequent trims. The boots and pads helped him feel good enough to move about and go for walks with out pain. And I believe with better hoof function as a result.  If Bullet's hooves look similar to the Feb pics, he needs frequent trims to lower the heels to help his back foot to open up and develop. I struggled with thin soles and contracted heels  and poor frogs like you have in those pics. It was not until I got the diet reallllly tight (I know you GET this! :-)) got  the heels to about 3 cm, (backing up the toe as well) that I got any real progress.

The hoof pros can give you more hands on ideas on how to get there with your trims.

I've finally come to the conclusion that shoeing an unhealthy foot is rarely the best approach.   (Just FYI - I put the recent Equicast discussions in a different category) And of course, besides the bare vs corrective shoeing discussions, there are a ton of differing opinions about boots and pads.  Should they be booted only?  Boots and pads?  No boots?  Always booted? It's no wonder we get a brain cramp about it.  What I finally did was to use boots and pads when hand walking (and now riding) and for times when I knew he wasn't moving enough in the paddock because his feet hurt.  I did not boot 24/7 as many do.

I think Dr Kellon has a great way of putting it.  We need to understand what the internal foot structures should look like.  IOW, what do the various internal parts actually look like and how does the external part need to be shaped to "fit" the internal structures.  As Dr K says, the "shoe" (meaning the external parts of the hoof) needs to reflect the "foot" (meaning the internal parts of the foot).    I  found that keeping the parts "fitting" correctly in order to move forward required Beau to be barefoot.

You may have been there, but I recently revisited Dr John Stewart's web sit.  He's got some great examples.  www.johnthevet.com

Nancy C and Beau and Gabe in NH

On May 2, 2008, at 10:58 PM, whitehorsebullet wrote:

The more i read, the more confused i am on what to do about my horses
hooves. I have addressed the diet issues and feel I am on the right
track there. So i guess i want to know if it is better to leave Bullet
(who turned 24 today) barefoot if he is only minimally ouchy, and moves
around freely, but very thin soled, and flat footed, espeically one
foot or should i boot and pad and or shoe and pad for support? As for
my other horse, he is also thin soled and sometimes ouchy, but overall
is ok. I do have xrays under "Bullet" on here. They are not current,
but they haven't changed that much (changed for the better, except for
sole depth which is about the same). I had some new xrays done, but
don't have them here. I will post those soon.
Ann-Marie, Bullet and Sonny

Jenny Edwards <jaennyedwards@...>

Personally, I would boot and pad both.

Jenny Edwards

- information on all aspects of natural horse care

- graphic design solutions