Hoof cast technical question-Abby

parkell2001 <kingdom@...>

Hi Abby,
It seems that foundered horses need heel rasping around two to three
weeks at the most to keep the coffin bone ground parallel. Some, if
they are moving well, need it even more frequently. If we were to cast
the horse that started this entire episode(smile), am I looking at
trying to remove a "fresh cast" at a two week interval, which you say
is a tough job in order to rasp the heels? How often do you typically
find it optimal to retrim or reduce heels on a cast foot?
Dawn W

Abby Nemec

parkell2001 wrote:

If we were to cast the horse that started this entire episode(smile), am I looking at trying to remove a "fresh cast" at a two week interval, which you say is a tough job in order to rasp the heels?
I replaced Hotti's casts every 2 weeks. By that time they were ready to come off. My client horses usually go a little longer because they get whatever date we put on the schedule. Hotti I did when I was in the mood. She had such drastic hoof capsule changes though that she was outgrowing the casts in that time.

How often do you typically find it optimal to retrim or reduce heels on a cast foot?
I usually start with 3-4 weeks. With a bare foot I would go more often, but the cast foot doesn't seem to "go south" as quickly as the bare foot if you go a little longer. That way you have a little more foot to mess with in making growth pattern corrections.

-A