Topics

hoof casts and laminitis

sharon williams <skwilliams5@...>

I have a friend whose 9 month pregnant mare has been three weeks into a severe case of
laminitis. Xrays show sinking, but no rotation.

The mare has just been diagnosed with IR, and is now getting soaked grass hay only.

My friend has tried boots with styrofoam inserts, and the mare is still not moving and in total
misery. This is a mare that has been barefoot for many years without problems, but has a
new trimmer (they moved).

If the Equicast was applied and didn't give her relief, how would it be removed so that
another method or different kinds of sole support could be used. Would you just cut out the
bottom, then wrap another layer over the hoof wall?

She is on a pain med that her vet says is o.k for pregnant mares, but it doesn't seem to be
helping much, if any.

Sharon

Abby Nemec

sharon williams wrote:

If the Equicast was applied and didn't give her relief, how would it be removed so that another method or different kinds of sole support could be used. Would you just cut out the bottom, then wrap another layer over the hoof wall?
No you would need to remove the whole cast to apply another, which FOR THE RECORD again can be a real project with a fresh cast! A farrier with some strength and good tools will have the easiest time getting the cast off, but it's still no walk in the park.