Hoof quality - not the same since the founder

Stacy

My horse is progressing very well since his slight founder incident in
November. X-rays show that the rotation is gone, there is still
slight sinking in the right front - but not much. We have his diet &
trim under control. Dandy was diagnosed with IR in early January, and
a couple weeks ago confirmed Cushings. He is on Pergolide now.

So...my question... the new hoof wall that is growing down is smooth,
not wavy at all, I guess which confirms we have the laminitis/founder
at bay. However, it looks different than the prefounder hoof. It is
dryer, and doesn't look as smooth/finished as it did prior to the
founder. The founder line is about 3/4 of the way down his hoof - and
what is above the line (newer growth) just doesn't look as good as the
hoof he used to grow. It seems like it should be the other way around
since we have his diet optimally balanced. Did the founder cause long
term damage to however the hoof grows out? The sole is starting to
exfoliate too ;-) I am hoping to see concavity again soon...

Thanks - Stacy

Suzanne Harford

--- In ECHoof@..., "Stacy" <saberger@...> wrote:
However, it looks different than the prefounder hoof. It is
dryer, and doesn't look as smooth/finished as it did prior to the
founder.

Thanks - Stacy

I was actually just coming over to this list to ask the same question.
My 7 year old Morgan, Cassie, is having the same issue. She had no
rotation (well, close to 1 degree if we get really picky with her
x-rays), has regained concavitiy and her feet are structurally better
now than they were before the laminitis. Her diet is super tight and
she seems to finally be making improvements with her IR. BUT, the
surfaces of all four hoof walls are rough. The only idea her farrier
has is "it seems like excess periople." He and I are both very
curious about this.

Suzanne H. and Cassie
NY

Jackie <stc4qh@...>

This is interesting, Gacy's hoof walls are rough but I attribute this
to the coronet band damage from abscessing when she foundered. She
came close to sloughing both hoof walls. I've accepted the fact she
will not have "pretty" feet.

Jackie and Gacy

--- In ECHoof@..., "Suzanne" <smharford@...> wrote:

[...]

Claire Vale

Hi,

If you’ve tightened the diet since the founder episodes, then I’d wonder if the new diet might be a bit low in methionine / biotin, at least for these horses?  For some reason, some horses seem to have a higher need for those components, so if you aren’t using a hoof supp high in those ingredients, it might be worth a try to see what happens.  Remember that you’ll have to give it for a few months to really see the changes (if there are any) to the new hoof wall…

Claire Vale

New Zealand

Julia Bonar <keystone@...>

<<<<<<<she seems to finally be making improvements with her IR. BUT, the
surfaces of all four hoof walls are rough. The only idea her farrier
has is "it seems like excess periople." He and I are both very
curious about this.>>>>>>>

Funny this should come up! My trimmer was concerned last time she trimmed my boy Beck (about 5 weeks ago) because the surface of all four hooves was so rough almost to the bottom of the hoof.  She wasn't sure if it was the periople or not, looked weird to her, she said she had  never seen a hoof like it before.  However the hoof otherwise seemed totally fine and he was sound as could be.

Last week, when she trimmed again all but about the 3/4 " below the coronet band was clear but now there was a definate hard slightly bulged area.  It looked almost like a founder line but was not indented simply thicker for 3/4" then dropped off to smooth hoof.

We had a good look I went back in my mind for an incident that could indicate he'd had a set back but other than an hour's escape in the the wide grren reaches of the pasture muzzless I couldn't come up with anything. So we decided on a wait and see.

I took the boys, one for  a massage, one for a riding lesson two days later. The masseusse happens to be a traditional farrier and she was oooing and arrring over how good their feet looked, so I asked her about the ledge on Beck's feet, she had a good look and said she it was a new look to her but didn't think it was a founder line more likely periople.

Well to cut this ramble short, yesterday the whole thing softened up and peeled back a little, it's the periople and looks totally normmal now. The hoof is smooth as a baby's whatsit.

Curious to see if you end up with the same thing.

Julia

Jackie <stc4qh@...>

Claire, here is a link to a photo taken of Gacy's fronts. I would
like your opinion, or others too, if a supplement would help the
appearance of her hooves. She is on an IR diet and is healthy.
Also, she has been on a regular 3wk trim schedule on her fronts and
will be trimmed on May 2nd. More background is she foundered in May
06 with severe coronet abscessing. Thanks.

Jackie and Gacy

--- In ECHoof@..., "Claire Vale" <claire@...> wrote:

[...]

Wow - my horses feet look rough, like the top of Gacy's feet, but not
nearly so bad. My farrier agrees that what I am seeing is likely
excess peripole. I will be doing another blood panel on Dandy next
month and it will be interesting what my vet thinks.

My hrose is getting biotin, and has everything else in his diet right
where it should be. I just was concerned that his feet look different
now than they did prefounder, even though the x-rays indicate
everything is ok. It is at least a little reassuring that others see
this with their horses too - and maybe this is normal and part of the
long term healing process.

Stacy