Topics

I am looking for a recommendation on hoof knives.

celestinefarm

I have used Dick hoof knives since I started doing my own trimming over 15 years ago. I have started having issues with keeping them sharp. They are good out of the box for one or two trims, then seem to begin dulling rather quickly. My husband sharpens them using a mechanical sharpener that sets the edge mechanically and again, they are good for one or two trims , then the only thing that stays sharp is the curl at the end. I keep them clean and sheathed when not in use, but they also tend to develop rust and pits.

Any suggestions on a better knife.
Dawn Wagstaff
Saline, MI 2003

I've been using Anvil Brand's "The Knife" for many years and have been happy with how they hold up, both to trimming and to my personal sharpening technique.

I have bad arthritis in my hands so I need them very sharp and I've been using a Dremel to sharpen them for a long time. My knife purist friends are appalled, but I never got the hang of putting a good edge on with a file, and I'd rather replace the knife more often than use a dull knife on the hard, dry hooves we have in the high desert environment here. They cost around $30 and I bought my last one two years ago - still using that on my two horses.
Jill, Khari and Jetty in Idaho

NRC Grad 2010

I found it pretty easy to get a nice sharp edge with a carbide sharpener. It is a VERY simple tool. EZ Kutt sells them, Corona sells them, there is a "Speedy Sharp" version. It takes a couple of slow strokes along the blade to get a nice edge. Costs about $12. I struggle trying to sharpen with a file but this simple tool is EASY. It also sharpens pruner blades and all knives. Just a suggestion.
--
Bonnie Snodgrass 07-2016

ECIR Primary Response

White Cloud, Michigan, USA

Mouse Case HistoryPhoto Album

Thanks Bonnie. I'll look into that!

On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 1:43 PM, Bonnie Snodgrass
<blsgrass344@...> wrote:
I found it pretty easy to get a nice sharp edge with a carbide sharpener. It is a VERY simple tool. EZ Kutt sells them, Corona sells them, there is a "Speedy Sharp" version. It takes a couple of slow strokes along the blade to get a nice edge. Costs about $12. I struggle trying to sharpen with a file but this simple tool is EASY. It also sharpens pruner blades and all knives. Just a suggestion.
--
Bonnie Snodgrass 07-2016

ECIR Primary Response

White Cloud, Michigan, USA

Mouse Case HistoryPhoto Album

celestinefarm

Thanks for the recommendation. I ordered a right and left Anvil knife and look forward to it's arrival.

Dawn Wagstaff
Saline, MI 2003

Bobbie Day

I bought one from Scott Davidson from the hoof rehab site. He does a lot of custom knives for members. You could find him there or if you would like his contact info. My husband is a lefty and good knives for him are hard to find. Scott’s are very well made, and made to last.
I can’t remember how much I paid for it but I don’t think it was much more than other brands.

celestinefarm

Update, I am using the Anvil knives and really like them. Thanks all for the suggestions.

Dawn Wagstaff
Saline, MI  2003