I stumped my trimmer with this one......

kelly andersen

My horse had a laminitis round in May. He had flares on the inside,
outside and toes of both front feet. He limped around favoring the
front right, but was never down.

Then he foundered in August and was down for more than 10 days. His
feet didn't flare on that one. The two trimmers I consulted both
thought he had one or two degrees of rotation in the front right, but
none in the left.

My question is: Why did he flare during the laminitis, but not during
the founder? I'm stumped and so is the trimmer.

kelly

J Amick

Kelly,   perhaps because he was down for 10 days +,   and didn't
put much weight on those feet.   My mare flares alot and it is a constant
battle with those hooves.   Hard to see  them,  but as the trim date
gets closer,   it is plain as day.    She  has lily pad feet...  Big.
Judy-PA

My horse had a laminitis round in May. He had flares on the inside,
outside and toes of both front feet. He limped around favoring the
front right, but was never down.

Then he foundered in August and was down for more than 10 days. His
feet didn't flare on that one. The two trimmers I consulted both
thought he had one or two degrees of rotation in the front right, but
none in the left.

My question is: Why did he flare during the laminitis, but not during
the founder? I'm stumped and so is the trimmer.

kelly

Nancy C

Hi Kelly

Do you have x-rays?  Could he be a sinker v a rotated founder?

You can have flares without founder.

Nancy C and Beau and Gabe in NH

My question is: Why did he flare during the laminitis, but not during
the founder? I'm stumped and so is the trimmer.

kelly

kelly andersen

I'm going to do x-rays in December after the rent check comes in.
I've done terrible things to the budget getting Shorty squared away
this summer. I'll do an ACTH and a glucose/insulin then too. I
oughta blow the vet's mind with my little nit-picky requirements.

The trimmer I'm using is pretty happy with how the feet are coming
along, but he'd like to see pictures too.

thanks K

--- In ECHoof@..., Nancy Collins <threecatfarm@...> wrote:

Hi Kelly

Do you have x-rays? > >>

Abby Nemec

My horse had a laminitis round in May. He had flares on the inside,
outside and toes of both front feet. He limped around favoring the
front right, but was never down.

Then he foundered in August and was down for more than 10 days. His
feet didn't flare on that one.
Let me start by saying that laminitis and founder are the same thing. Everyone has their own interpretation of what they mean when they say each, but there is no standard definition.

Beyond that, the flares occurred because the horse was weight-bearing on the front feet. When the pain gets more severe & the horse goes down, they usually do a LOT less damage to the feet.

This is one of the main reasons we don't want horses medicated beyond the first couple days of a laminitis flare. If their feet are that bad, they should lie down.

-Abby B