Laminitis and piroplasmosis

Maria Duran

Does anyone know if there is any relationship between piroplasmosis and laminitis?

I am asking about both, acute episode and chronic disease, especially the last one.

Thank you!

María Durán
Madrid, Spain.

Sherlene Turner

Hi Maria,
If I'm not mistaken, piroplasmosis is also known as babesiosis which is often a co-infectant of lyme disease.  Is this correct?
Sherlene

--
Sherlene Klemens
Bundaberg, Qld, Australia

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Maria,

I couldn't find any specific mention of laminitis in connection with Piroplasmosis (also sometimes called Babesiosis) although that doesn't mean there isn't a possibility. Anemia, liver, spleen and kidney complications appear to be the most prevalent clinical issues. There is a possibility of disseminated intravascular coagulation: a condition in which small blood clots develop throughout the bloodstream, blocking small blood vessels. The increased clotting depletes the platelets and clotting factors needed to control bleeding, causing excessive bleeding. Potentially, that could be linked to laminitis.

Have a read here:

http://www.cfsph.iastate.edu/Factsheets/pdfs/equine_piroplasmosis.pdf

Maria Duran

Hi Sherlene,

My understanding is that piroplasmosis is caused by parasites Babesia Caballi and/or Theileria Equi and Lyme is a bacteria Borrelia Burdorgferi. Both transmitted by a tick but I believe they are not connected.

Maria Duran

Thank you Lavinia, I find entries about piro and laminitis but are not scientific so I better ask here.

My question is because León shows a lot of blood in his four hooves, white line and sole. IR and PPID are ruled out so I was trying to understand why. I believe we are going to lose him unfortunately, he was doing fantastic but sudenly he has lost strenght and he barely stands up. In your pdf says that there can be hind weakness what is exactly what happens to León and I wonder if the bleeding mentioned would be what I am seing in his hooves and is not related to laminitis

I am totally desperated the vet says he will not overcome Imidocarb treatment and I believe piro is killing him anyway.

I have a video of the blood in the sole and white line if that is of help.

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

No connection we know of.
--
Dr. K

Maria Duran

Thank you Dr. Kellon.

suzy zarek

Maria I would like to see the video. Unfortunately I have no answers for you but I would like to see this. You can send it to me privately. I understand if you don't.
--
Suzy Nebraska 2019

Maria Duran

Hi Suzy, I can´t see here how to send it to you privately, please let me know you email and I will send it to you, no problem.

Thank you.

suzy zarek

suzyzs@...
--