Lavinia: Help For Hooves Please

tinatray@...

Hello,
Takoma's front hooves have always had a multitude of problems.  Believe it, or not, they were at one time even worse than this.  I don't know that anyone has ever known what to do to help him, or where to even begin.  The rear hooves are not as distorted, but still need help.
I no longer have a hoof trimmer and I am learning how to do this myself, but I need the help of an experienced professional.  I believe Takoma can have a better hooves and I'm going to have to do it myself.
I would like to request mark-ups, and a plan of action.  I may need ongoing consultation, and I am willing to do what I need to for that too.
Thank you so much.
Sincerely,
Tina Tray

Hi Tina,

Good on you for taking this on to see that your boy gets things squared away. You aren't alone in deciding to follow this path - many members of the ECIR Group have done the same thing when they couldn't get their horse's trims optimized. It is quite doable.

Nice job on the pix. I just need you to add a sole plane shot of each foot:

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/wiki/Hoof-Related-Photo-Instructions

Is Takoma IR and/or PPID? If so, you need to make sure those issues are being well controlled as they will seriously impact his hoof health. Even if he isn't IR/PPID, making sure he is on a mineral balanced diet will provide him with all the necessary building blocks to be able to grow healthy feet. If he is IR/PPID, than all of this discussion should take place on the main group.

While the trim isn't optimal, it's certainly isn't horrible. I do see medio-lateral imbalance (one side of the hoof is taller than the other), long toes and somewhat underrun heels. These are all fairly common and correctable issues. You're right that the hinds are generally in better shape than the fronts - again, quite common. His RF seems to be the most problematic. Have you ever had any radiographs done?

Is he sound? Lame? Somewhat sensitive at times?

 Let's get the basic info figured out, then we can decide how to proceed from there.

tinatray@...

Hello,
Yes, Takoma is PPID and IR.  I had radiographs taken a few times in the past when he became sore on both front hooves.  He has never rotated or sank on any of those occasions.  The latest radiographs are from September of 2018, when it first became suspected he was PPID, and was laminitic.  I will try to get those uploaded this weekend.
I will get pictures of the sole planes tomorrow and will add them to the photos.
Takoma has had sore hooves on and off since September 2018.  He is currently sound only in boots with pads.
His diet has been balanced using FeedXL, but I am willing to have an ECIR person do this too.
Thank you very much for answering my post.  I will post my message to the main board once I upload the sole plane photos and radiographs.
Sincerely,
Tina and Takoma
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Tina%20and%20Takoma%20Case%20History/Takoma%20Case%20History%202019-9-5.pdf