Topics

Manda's feet

Jeanette

Hi again -- I've posted some photos taken a few days after Manda's last
trim the first week in February. Album: Manda (Jeanette). I'd
appreciate comments as I'm constantly trying to educate both myself and
my farrier (who is extremely cooperative, BTW).

Unfortunately, the battery on the camera called it quits before I was
able to get sole shots, but there's really not been a lot of change
from the previous shots in the album. We don't trim sole, but opened
the sulcus on the frog for better cleaning, and trimmed a bit of ratty
frog. The frog still doesn't have the kind of growth I'd like, but
with constant winter cold and wet, they stay pretty yucky. I am
spritzing them with usnea every time I reboot her.

I've been trying to get heels down and toes back. The shots don't look
like that's happening, but this mare has ski-tip coffin bones (see x-
rays), and we're taking her back to the white line. Despite everything,
she seems to be developing a bit of concavity. It'll be interesting to
see what she looks like under some of what I think is "false" sole. And
she still has quite a bit of separation.

Even after a year the mare's still not comfortable without boots and
pads except in **very** soft conditions, and I suspect refractory hoof
pain. In addition to diet control and pergolide for IR/PPID, I've
asked on the EC group about using ALC to see whether that makes any
difference for her.

Thanks for the help. This and the barefoot horse care group have
really kept me going.

Jeanette
Colorado

Eleanor Kellon, VMD <drkellon@...>

I certainly see progress there. You can probably roll her toe more
aggressively but the toe is coming back very nicely. That's probably
what is stimulating her concavity. Heels have a way to go yet. Sole
views would help, but if they're similar to January, long way to go.
Are you trimming to the live sole plan at the heel and lowering to
that? She has a little wiggle room on angulation in the January X-
rays so you should be OK trimming to live sole plane. You'll need to
clean out the excessive, overlaid bar, take the sole at the seat of
the corn down until you find the live sole plane. Her frog will get a
lot healthier once it's doing more.

Eleanor

--- In ECHoof@yahoogroups.com, "Jeanette" <jrlaur46@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Eleanor, I'll share this information with my farrier.
Actually, the x-rays are from June 2007, so we've been bringing the
toes back since then. I figured I'd have another set of x-rays taken
again this spring. And I will try to get a set of sole shots.

Jeanette
Colorado