Marquis Boots/PS Drummer/from EC list

Lorna Cane <briars@...>

Hi Deidre,

I just re-read your post. You are making the same mistake that I
did by letting your horse out too soon and relying on boots alone.
This is our 5th summer.

If Drummer is that sore
I think I'm misrepresenting things.Maybe?
He is what I would describe as happy,pasture sound,with boots rimmed adequately.Does that make any sense?

and his soles are dropping, the laminar bond
is weak and he shouldn't be moving around so much. Keep him in
a stall or small pen with some kind of bedding so he will lie
down.
OMG,Deidre,there is NO WAY.I know what you are saying.But there is NO WAY.He would rather be dead,and so far all he has wanted to do is survive this thing.
I know I'm making mistakes.I MUST be.
But I don't think that is one of them.

Monitor his digital pulses. If they don't go away on stall
rest, there is active inflammation.
His pulses are difficult to find.

Use bute until the pulses quit, and keep him quiet. It takes
months >for a new strong laminar connection to form.
There's been tons of damage there.He has lost these hooves 4x because of abscesses.Over a 3-year time period.

Lorna

deidregilbertallen <d2allen@...>

I think I'm misrepresenting things.Maybe?
He is what I would describe as happy,pasture sound,with boots rimmed
adequately.Does that make any sense?
.He has lost these hooves 4x because
of abscesses.Over a 3-year time period.

Lorna
No, I just didn't know the whole story before letting
my fingers fly. I assumed you were talking about
founder. Now I remember the episode of
selenium overdose and how it damaged your
horse's hooves. A very unusual situation.
Sorry for the confusion.

Obviously you are doing all you can for your
horse at this point, however I can't help but
wonder why he continues to abscess.

What kind of pads are you using inside the
hoof boots?

Deidre

briarskingstonnet <briars@...>

Now I remember the episode of selenium overdose and how it damaged
your horse's hooves. A very unusual situation.
Sorry for the confusion.
No need to apologize at all,Deidre!

Obviously you are doing all you can for your horse at this point,
Well yes,but there is always more that can be done if the results
aren't there.Just don't know what.

>however I can't help but wonder why he continues to abscess.

Well,I hate to say this right now...egads,please don't jinx
this...but he hasn't abscessed for over a year.We thought a few weeks
ago that his entire sole was abscessing.A trim, though, drew
blood ,only the beginnings of because the trimmer is very
conservative about removing from sole.But we were thinking that there
was enough callous there to be would have love it if he had
abscessed (moderately)and got rid of stuff he may have been
harbouring for a long time.I know Eleanor has seen cases of abscesses
hiding for a year or more.

What kind of pads are you using inside the hoof boots?
Oh gosh.Carpeting,anti-fatigue matting,dense rubber from material I
had here,Old Mac inserts,rims made from various materials,including
soles of boots that looked like horse shoes but were rubber.(took
boots apart because they didn't stay on when horse got up from lying
down)...may be forgetting some,don't know.

Am I off track by thinking he needs rims instead of full pads?I was
thinking we need to keep his soles protected since he hates to stand
without protection.But I worry,too, about weight going only on
walls/frogs, for obvious reasons.

Scott(Marquis) knows the situation and didn't say anything about
those boots being inappropriate for Drummer's situation.Is sending
some pads ,too.
I hope I'm not being misled because I'm out of patience with that
approach.

Wears you out,doesn't it?

Lorna

deidregilbertallen <d2allen@...>

Lorna,

Please scroll down.

A trim, though, drew
blood ,only the beginnings of because the trimmer is very
conservative about removing from sole.But we were thinking that there
was enough callous there to be would have love it if he had
abscessed (moderately)and got rid of stuff he may have been
harbouring for a long time
Sole thickness at this stage is extremely important. The blood
might only be old collections, but then again his sole could be
extremely thin. Lateral x-rays would be very helpful at this point.

What kind of pads are you using inside the hoof boots?
Oh gosh.Carpeting,anti-fatigue matting,dense rubber from material I
had here,Old Mac inserts,rims made from various materials,including
soles of boots that looked like horse shoes but were rubber.(took
boots apart because they didn't stay on when horse got up from lying
down)...may be forgetting some,don't know.
Am I off track by thinking he needs rims instead of full pads?I was
thinking we need to keep his soles protected since he hates to stand
without protection.But I worry,too, about weight going only on
walls/frogs, for obvious reasons.
Weight bearing should be distributed on heels, frogs, sole. The walls
aren't designed to support weight. Given this, the trim is very very
important. Some photos would be helpful to assess the situration.

Scott(Marquis) knows the situation and didn't say anything about
those boots being inappropriate for Drummer's situation.Is sending
some pads ,too.
I hope I'm not being misled because I'm out of patience with that
approach.
Wears you out,doesn't it?
Often it helps to get an outside perspective - from someone who
hasn't been working so hard on the same problem for as long as
you have. I'd say that the Marquis rep is well meaning, but will
tend to try to sell you the product no matter what. The pads that
go inside the Marquis boots are only about 1/4" thick. If Drummer
has a thin sole, the Marquis boots plus pads will give him some
relief, but I doubt they will allow him to grow sole. As much as I
like the Marquis boots for riding, I think the Old Macs are a better
choice because you can put a thicker pad inside. Better yet, post
some x-rays and photos so we can get a better idea of what you
are dealing with.

Deidre

briarskingstonnet <briars@...>

Hi Deidre,

Sole thickness at this stage is extremely important. The blood
might only be old collections, but then again his sole could be
extremely thin. Lateral x-rays would be very helpful at this point.
I have some from recent vet visit.Just need to find time to post.

Weight bearing should be distributed on heels, frogs, sole. The
walls aren't designed to support weight.
I put him in hs Old Mac's today with thick pads,no rims.He's
definitely not as comfortable this way,as opposed to the Easy Boots
and rims.

Given this, the trim is very very important. Some photos would be
helpful to assess the situration.
Yes.

Often it helps to get an outside perspective - from someone who
hasn't been working so hard on the same problem for as long as
you have. I'd say that the Marquis rep
Was speaking to owner.

is well meaning, but will
tend to try to sell you the product no matter what.
I sincerely hope Scott was not doing that.I spoke to him again this
morning,explaining my concerns,and he has used these boots
successfully while rehabbing foundered horses....sinkers,too.Not sure
if we're talking apples and apples,but I should have them this week
for 2-week trial so I'll know soon.

The pads that go inside the Marquis boots are only about 1/4" thick.
If Drummer has a thin sole, the Marquis boots plus pads will give
him some relief, but I doubt they will allow him to grow sole.
Because?

Thanks Deidre.

Lorna

deidregilbertallen <d2allen@...>

Lorna,

I sincerely hope Scott was not doing that.I spoke to him again this
morning,explaining my concerns,and he has used these boots
successfully while rehabbing foundered horses....sinkers,too.Not sure
if we're talking apples and apples,but I should have them this week
for 2-week trial so I'll know soon.
Sure, give them a try.

The pads that go inside the Marquis boots are only about 1/4" thick.
If Drummer has a thin sole, the Marquis boots plus pads will give
him some relief, but I doubt they will allow him to grow sole.
Because?
I don't think a 1/4" pad inside a marquis boot is going to be your
entire solution. Thin soles, weak bars, infected frogs, weak heel
purchase, too long a toe, environmental condtions, etc... all are
things you can't address with a boot. Just my opinion.

Deidre