More questions....

kelly andersen

I haven't gotten more pics of Shorty's feet yet. The neighbor was
putting up hay last week and Shorty was racing the tractor up and
down the fence. Didn't seem like a good time to be laying on the
ground with a camera.

Well, he must have over done himself because now he's lame again.
The bad one is the front left. The right was the worst one in the
two lam/founder episodes. The tendons have some filling so I figure
it must be an absess.

I called the local natural/barefoot trim guy to have a look. He's
been doing feet for 30 years and does many horses. He cost about
half of what the vet charges and, quite frankly, I'm losing faith in
the local vets. Bill did some checking with the hoof testers and
the sore area was the toe, just the toe. A half inch back from the
toe and he didn't react.

He found a 'hole' right where Shorty was sensitive and tried to find
the absess, but couldn't find it. I had Bill trim the feet that he
could. The front left and the 2 backs. Shorty wasn't giving up the
front right no matter what. Bill did trim the toe and flares off
that foot without picking it up. The back feet look wonderful, just
like the pictures in the Pete Ramey book. Rolled toes, lifted
quarters, etc. It was the same price for Bill to come out and look
for the absess as to look for the absess and trim, so I went ahead
and did the trim--Shorty just needed it so bad.

Is there ANYTHING I can do to help the absess break? Shorty is
getting around on 3 legs the one is so sore. I've got the foot
wrapped with duct tape to keep the hole from packing up. Marvel of
all marvels, Shorty is leaving the tape alone.

I've got Randy scheduled for tomorrow, but I don't know what he can
do for Shorty at this point. Shorty still won't give up that front
right. I'd love to have his opinion of Bill's work and have him
check that whole absess situation, but I don't know if it's worth
his time to come.

Any thoughts--suggestions? kelly

Nancy Collins <threecatfarm@...>

Hi Kelly

Soaking with water as hot as he will stand it with Epsom salts and hand walking has worked for me, just this week.  I’ve soaked at least twice a day 20-30 mins at a time, but I’m home and they are in the back yard which makes it easier.

My guy won’t tolerate a bucket, so I have used commercial soaking boots like the Davis boot.  I bought it one size bigger than his foot size. But in the past I have also used just regular two gallon freezer bags and duct taped it on above the fetlock.  (Duct tape the bag closed around the leg putting the tape on the bag vs on the leg, if that makes sense. )

Numotizine Poultice or Animal Lintex pads are good to vet wrap or tape (keep the tape off the coronary band)onto the abscess area to help drain.  Some folks use sugardyne, a mixture of sugar and Betadyne solution in the same manner.

At this point Beau’s abscesses are pretty well drained so I’m using gauze to keep it clean.  I also put some plain Betadyne on the gauze to keep the bugs down.

Suggest you do a search of the archives on the main list using Kellon as the author and sub solar abscess in the message body window.

It’s hard to watch sometimes, but they need to go through this.  Often these abscesses hang around until a change in the trim or other cause that make the foot realign in side the capsule and thus the abscess needs to come out.

Nancy C and Beau and Gabe in NH