Navicular comfort

Shera Felde

My mare was diagnosed with navicular a couple of months ago. She got a shot of Osphos and metal shoes recommended by the vet were put on. Has anyone found good glue on shoes or boots for navicular that she could comfortably transition to? I hate the metal idea but I don't want her to backslide with comfort. She has been striding better and no lameness during this time. She has a history of thin soles.

I have no idea if the injection did the work, the shoes, or both.

Thank you!

Josephine Trott

Hello
Another option to glue on shoes or boots is FormaHoof. I’ve heard good reports about this product
Josie
Davis CA 11/09

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi (?),

Sorry to hear that your mare has been uncomfortable. It's likely both the injection and the shoes are temporarily helping her comfort levels but they won't overcome issues with the trim which usually underlie both a navicular problem and thin soles.

It would helpful to see any radiographs that have been done and a set of hoof photos. Usually, there are trim issues involved and any kind of appliance is only a band-aid for the real problems that are aggravating the navicular area. Ditto for the thin soles, with the added thought that diet can play a huge role as excesses and deficiencies of key nutrients will impact the hoof's ability to grow sole.

Jan 2005, RI

Moderator/ECIR Support

Joy V

My gelding was diagnosed navicular in 2015.  He was shod in special shoes w/ pads for over 2 years, etc etc and nothing helped him.  Turns out he had deep central sulcus thrush and was toe first landing for many years.  This issue was missed by three vets, (having had 5 lameness exams).  Four different hoof care professions also never seemed to notice the thrush.

After the thrush was treated, and once he was (finally) diagnosed with PPID/IR, and that was under control, he was completely sound by August of last year with no sign of "navicular".  He had been lame since before the rads he got in 2015.  I learned a lot from reading Pete Ramey's articles on his website, studies and articles by Dr. Bowker, and then once I found an excellent hoof care professional and this group, got the PPID/IR DX, everything got better for my horse.  Shoes did absolutely nothing to help him.  I was paying $375 every 6 weeks for shoes & pads (on his front feet only!) and he had thrush with toe first landing and constant low-grade laminitis.  My poor horse.

I guess my point is that according to studies by Dr. Bowker, even when horses navicular bones show changes, or show navicular bone deterioration on rads,  that doesn't always mean the pain is from their navicular bones.  It can be many other things, and in my opinion, it's very much worth checking into everything that you can.

There is a good section on Pete Ramey's website re navicular that you might be interested in checking out if you haven't already.  Navicular Syndrome    Apologies if you have already looked into all of the potential issues.

tl;dr shoes do not always help in my experience

I hope your mare feels better and becomes sound.  <3

Joy

--
Joy and Willie (EC/IR)
Nevada County, CA - 2019

Shera Felde

Thank you both for the replies. I haven't seen Formahoof before.
Sophie's diet is pretty well balanced since I also have an IR mare. I think my former trimmers didn't do her any favors leaving longer toe but now my farrier is keeping her short on 6 week cycle. He comes next Friday so I hope to decide if we change the metal shoes or not before then. Sophie doesn't have a case history on this site but maybe I can still upload xrays and photos?
--
Shera Felde
Sisters, Oregon

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Shera,

If Sophie isn't IR/PPID, then you are welcome to send her rads and photos to me directly and I'll put them up in a photo album for you, as only Moderators can upload photos on this site.

If she is possibly IR/PPID, then you can create a photo album on the case history sub-group and upload all the images yourself. Afterwards, just post a note to the main group that you'd like some input.

Jan 2005, RI

Moderator/ECIR Support

Joy, very well stated!!  A testimony to ECIR protocol!!!

Shera Felde

Thank you, Joy. I printed off the articles and maybe Epics are a good transition? Maybe with frog pads? I will show my farrier. Sophie has been barefoot for most of the 11 years I've had her, but I had many trimmers who never got her under run heels to change much. My current farrier is doing a much better job but how to transition out of the metal? Lots to think about with article information.

I appreciate the help!!
--
Shera Felde
Sisters, Oregon

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Shera,

I'd be careful with raised frog pads on a horse unless it's regularly landing heels first, as that could apply constant pressure to the frogs/heels which the horse isn't ready to accept - leading to sustained toe-first landings. Experiment with which type of padding Sophie seems to prefer and be prepared to change to different padding as her comfort dictates.

A six week trim cycle usually won't stay on top of toes that are out ahead of where they need to be, esp. when coupled with crushed/underrun heels.You can experiment with adding jiaogulan to help increase circulation, which will accelerate hoof and sole growth:

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/Pain%20Medication%20and%20Alternatives/Jiaogulan,%20Nitric%20Oxide%20Support,%20AAKG%20and%20Supps/Jiaogulan%20Doses%20and%20Precautions.pdf

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/Pain%20Medication%20and%20Alternatives/Jiaogulan,%20Nitric%20Oxide%20Support,%20AAKG%20and%20Supps/Jiaogulan,%20when%20to%20try%20it%20and%20what%20to%20expect.pdf

Easyboot gloves are a reasonable choice for a non-therapy boot, as they can be heat fit, cut out, adjusted to fit well:

https://www.hoofrehab.com/GloveMod.html

Jan 2005, RI

Moderator/ECIR Support

Allison

If you're on Facebook, I encourage you to join the "Barefoot Rehab for Navicular" page. It's an excellent resource!

Your primary goal is to create a comfortable heel first landing. This is a multi faceted approach.  Forage based diet properly balanced,  proper trims, boots with pads, body work to help overcome negative patterns created in the body from compensatory movement,  aggressive thrush treatment. Avoid NSAIDs. Be patient. Soft tissue damage caused from toe first landings can take a long time to heal.

Shera Felde

Thank you, Allison, I just joined! We have all the time in the world, just want to get it right!

thanks again,
--
Shera Felde
Sisters, Oregon