From: ECHoof@... [mailto:ECHoof@...] On Behalf Of Carlynne Allbee
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 2:01 PM
To: Equine Cushings; Driving MiniHorse; ECHoof@...
Subject: [ECHoof] Need boots for a miniature horse

Hi folks,

A friend and I both are in need of easy boots, or similar boots, for miniature horses.  I can't find any that small.  My mare had foundered years ago and both front feet tend to be tender.

Any and all help / suggestions / links will be greatly appreciated.

Carlynne Allbee and Patience

Claire Vale <clairevale@...>

Hi Carlynne,

I don’t know that any of the boot manufacturers make boots that small (unless your mini has especially big feet ), although you should definitely ask around.

That leaves two options – just cut out pads and tape on when needed, or, look for alternative boots.  I’ve heard of people using teddy bear boots for minis with success, provided you can find something the right size and shape (the company name ‘build a bear’ rings a bell, try them if there is one locally).  I’ve also heard of people using modified kids sandals or shoes (cutting off the toe or heel as appropriate depending on what type you find).

You may also want to look at the trim she is getting – if her feet aren’t getting any better, then they may need a slightly different trim.  She might also still be having laminitic attacks, so you may need to look for metabolic or dietary issues and work on those (if you haven’t already, of course).

Claire Vale

New Zealand

A friend and I both are in need of easy boots, or similar boots, for miniature horses.  I can't find any that small.  My mare had foundered years ago and both front feet tend to be tender.

Any and all help / suggestions / links will be greatly appreciated.

Carlynne Allbee and Patience

Pam Beall

Hi Carlynne,

I see someone posted links to some custom sites that may make boots small enough for minis, but I'm apt to ask WHY your mare is still tender from founder years ago? They grow a new hoof every 8 months or so. There must be something else still going on? Just asking-if you are addressing it then just delete my post!

PAM