Need some advice on my horse.....a novel

kelly andersen

I've recently joined the Cushings/Insulin Resistance board and need
to start thinking about the T part of DDT. I'll start at the
beginning, I guess.

Shorty is a Haflinger. 8 years old. 13.2HH Weight- more than is
should be at roughly 1000#.

Early May Shorty had a mild case of founder/laminitis. There were
flares all over the place and he was a little sore, but not
seriously lame. The front right was worse than the front left. The
back feet seem unaffected. By the first week of July he was
trotting on concrete dead sound.

Then came an absess in the front right, I think the second week of
July. The vet opened it up and everything seemed to be on the right
track.

The first week of August Shorty got really lame in the front right
again. I figured the absess had gotten itself restarted, but the
vet told me laminitis and early Cushings. The next morning, Shorty
was laying down. He was down probably 23+ hours a day for a while.

So, I joined the Cushings/IR group. Shorty is now on his feet most
of the day. He has always been a nap taker, so I have trouble
telling if he's napping or resting his feet. I suspect it's mostly
napping. He volunteers some trotting on soft dirt and we've seen
some bursts of canter and a few little bucks in the last 10 days.

I really would like to do x-rays, but the money just isn't there
right now. August and September are always tight, but with Shorty's
bills rolling in too.....Just can't swing them right now.

I live in South West Iowa. Basically the 'black hole' of horsedom.
I have been advised to find a natural trimmer, but haven't been able
to find one. I have worked with 2 farriers in the recent past. An
old guy and a young guy. I think the old guy is too set in his ways
to try something new (I've known him 20 years, I know him fairly
well) and the young guy is too new to think outside the box. Of the
2 the younger guy is my best bet, but not a sure thing. I might be
on my own. I have ordered Pete Ramey's book, it'll be here this
week.

I have pictures of Shorty's feet in the photos section. It's under
andersenkk. I can take any different angles if needed.

Please have a look and give me some advice. I need to get moving on
his feet here soon.

thanks kelly and Shorty

Abby Nemec

kelly andersen wrote:

I have pictures of Shorty's feet in the photos section. It's under andersenkk. I can take any different angles if needed.
Different angles would help me to advise you, but it would take a LOT of time to provide you with detailed trim instructions on the list. I've seen many little draft horses with feet like this come around in fairly short order, and since he's pretty comfortable now you might not have too tough a row to hoe. He probably has great wall thickness (that's why they flare out like that instead of chipping off), a wide, deep frog, and a pretty dense sole, all of which are building blocks for really good hoof form/function.

If either of those farriers is trimming him right now on any kind of regular basis, I would recommend you choose the other one, or plan to do it yourself. DON'T plan to do it yourself without plenty of support though, because you can really easily go pretty wrong with feet like this. Plan to invest a couple hundred dollars or more on tools (you'll need them) and probably some consult fees to someone. These aren't the kind of feet you can trim by buying a $14 rasp at the Tractor Supply.

Shorty will be REALLY happy if you can trade these in for some new feet, though! You can do it, good luck!

John Stewart

Hi Kelly,

I concur with Abby.

But for comments on the feet we need them to be taken on a flat surface and photos taken from ground level (camera on the ground) from in front and from the side.  Also of the soles.

John

kelly andersen

I'll see what I can do on more pics. Possibly I can get him to stand
on rubber mats on concrete. He's not so ouchie now, I think I could
get some sole shots, too. Kelly

--- In ECHoof@..., "John Stewart" <john_the_vet@...> wrote:

Hi Kelly,

I concur with Abby.

But for comments on the feet we need them to be taken on a flat
surface and photos taken from ground level (camera on the ground) from
in front and from the side. Also of the soles.

John

kelly andersen

I knew from the outset this wouldn't be cheap.

Shorty had wonderful feet before this all started. He could walk on
the crushed limestone driveway and road without a single flinch. I
really don't want to go with shoes on him. Surely those wonderful
feet are still in there somewhere.

The chunks missing on the sides are where the remains of the flares
from the first episode grew down enough to break loose. His feet do
look awful.

The older guy trimmed him just as the last episode was getting fired
up. I've been getting him done every month. I guess I'll call the
younger guy unless someone from my saddle club can tell me about a
natural trimmer. Is there a good place to find out if there's a
local trimmer? I've seen them listed on some websites, but the
closest trimmer is over 400 miles away according to them.

I'll see about pictures today. Thanks Kelly

kelly andersen wrote:
I'll see what I can do on more pics. Possibly I can get him to stand on rubber mats on concrete. He's not so ouchie now, I think I could get some sole shots, too. Kelly
To get the most useful information you need to get the camera down to ground level, and close. Need straight-on front and back, both sides of each foot, straight view of the sole (fill the image with the foot) and one sole shot that shows a slight angle so we can visualize depth. See "how to take great hoof photos" in the list photo section.

That whole set for each foot.

goddess03259 <threecatfarm@...>

Kelly -

There are two IA farriers/trimmers in teh EC list farrier file, recommended by members.
They are:

10-24-06
Randy Hensley
Orient, IA 50858
email: rhensley@...
AANHCP PT
Specializing in Natural Hoof Care and Rehabilitation--Founder, White Line Disease and
Other Hoof Disorders
specializes in lameness and theraptic shoeing

03-15-07
Eden Hall
Currently located in Southeastern Iowa
Contact info:
Home: 319.643.7442
Mobile: 319.325.0644
e-mail: cedarspur@...

Eden is currently limited to not more than 2 hours from her central area near Iowa City, IA
(West Branch). Once her 3 year old son goes to school on a more regular basis, she will be
able to go further distances. She has a particular interest in laminitic horses and prefers
to utilise plain films (X-rays) when at all possible when shoeing/trimming. She believes in
the team approach between veterinarian and farrier in addressing the needs of these
horses. Her continuing education as a farrier consists of attending clinics given by experts
in the field on a regular basis (2-3 times a year). She views each horse as an individual
and recognises that there is not "just one way".

I live in South West Iowa.
Don't know if either will be close enough for you.

Nancy C and Beau and Gabe in NH

kelly andersen

The first one is a possibility. Orient isn't on my map, so it must
not be incorporated, but he's not as far off as he could be. The
other gal ain't gunna happen. She's a minimum 5 hour drive one
way. I'll see if I can contact Randy. Thanks k

--- In ECHoof@..., "goddess03259" <threecatfarm@...>